or Connect

Posts by ihathi

Thanks, Anna. I gave my friend #s for a lactation consultant and an LLL leader in our area. Sadly, she just called to tell me that she got a fever last night and immediately stopped nursing--she's now gone 12 hours w/o nursing or pumping! I'm worried about her health and I told her that now would be the time to call the LC. I really hope she does... It makes me sad to think of how stressful and isolating the postpartum period is in this culture! My friend is from...
Thanks, jillmamma! I spent a couple hours with my friend this evening and have to say I was actually shocked by how well the baby is latching on! At the end of the day, I think the biggest impediment will be my friend's general anxiety--she seems terribly insecure about her ability to provide enough milk! In any event, it was great to have some hints to share--I also made contact with some local LLL folks who might be able to help her out with any questions. ...
A friend of mine had her baby last Saturday and, although she tried to exclusively BF, there was virtually no support for this in the hospital. In fact, the hospital staff convinced her that the baby was dehydrated after 24 hours (they explained that the baby's dry legs were a sign of dehydration.) By the time my friend came home, the baby was losing interest in the breast altogether--the hospital staff had already "rehydrated" her enough times for her to prefer the...
As soon as we night-weaned at 20 mo, DS1 started to sleep through the night...
I'm wondering if anyone here is/has been a pumping WOHM? I work about 6-7 hrs/day and, at 13 mo. postpartum, I'm just pumping once in that period. The thing is that I'm down to pumping only, like, 2 oz. of milk when I pump at work. I'm sort of tempted to drop the pumping altogether, but I'm worried about the implications for DS2. I'm worried this will lead to premature weaning. I nursed my first son until he was 2 1/2 and I have every intention of nursing *at...
My DS2 is almost 8 mo old and I've recently noticed a huge drop-off in my milk supply on the days I go to work (three days/week, 8 hrs/day). We started DS2 on some solid foods (bananas, sweet potatoes, cooked beans, squash, etc.) a couple of months ago, but he's probably only eating the equivalent of two small jars of baby food a day. Anyhow, two months ago, I was pumping about 10 oz per 8-hour shift and now I'm down to 5-6 oz! When DS1 was a baby, I was a SAHM adn...
I am very new to this forum. We didn't know anything about EC w/ DS1 and just started with DS2 (5 m/o) a few weeks ago. In any event, I've been really excited about pottying my baby and he's been doing great with it. I rely mostly on timing, but, even so, we probably "catch" it in the potty about 4-8 times/day. But here's our situation--I am back to working 30 hrs/wk and my DH (who watches the boys while I'm at work) really doesn't feel committed to doing EC...
This thread is cracking me up! We were in this same position not long ago... (I'm American w/ a very Irish name, DH is Mexican.) We've always had a girl name at the ready--one we both liked that happened to belong to my great-grandma and DH's mother! But, well, boys names were much, much trickier for us! Anyhow, just wanted to offer this input about a couple names suggested here: Esteban and Adan are probably trickier for non-Spanish-speakers that you might...
ALL ACCESSORIES HAVE BEEN CLAIMED My Ameda pump has completely broken and since it's 10 years old, I'm giving up on it. BUT I've bought a lot of new accessories for it in the last couple years (i.e., extra valves, diaphragms, tubing) and I truly, truly hate to throw out things that are in good, working order... Could anyone here use them? (As an aside, are you not supposed to purchase used pumps/accessories for hygenic reasons? I've never seen them in second-hand...
Oops. Double-post.