or Connect

Posts by ihathi

The books that have been published about applying the Montessori philosophy to infant development are very anti-AP IMO--they encourage early weaning, minimal carrying, not responding to baby's cries, etc. However, I have a good number of quotes from Maria Montessori's own writings where she expressed admiration for so-called "traditional cultures" and the effects that baby-wearing and extended breastfeeding had on their children. While living in other cultures...
Hi Jenna, I am so sorry you are feeling so stressed out! I just wanted to let you know that I fully empathize w/ your situation. When I had some unusual bleeding at 40 wks., I never once imagined that the NST and ultrasound would indicate the need for an immediate induction! My heart absolutely stopped when my CNM explained the ultrasound to me(there was a partial abruption of the placenta). In the moment, I felt like my heart was breaking. After having a...
I travelled with my un-vaxed DS1 to a small, rural Mexican pueblo (my DH's hometown) once when he was 16 mo and again when he was 2 1/2 yo. Surprisingly, it was my son's pro-vax pediatrician who assured me that there wasn't any greater risk in travelling to rural Mexico than living in Chicago.
Regarding "tummy time"... We never did it w/ DS1 in his first six months. He was a very colicky/high-needs baby and the last thing we wanted to do was get the screaming going by putting him on his belly (he *hated* it!) Now, DS1 is three years old and way ahead of the curve in terms of gross motor development. In fact, he's been that way ever since he started walking.
I'm right there with you, spookymama. In fact, I'd be fine w/ another month of pregnancy! I think a lot of my... ambivalence about meeting #2 has to do w/ DS#1. For the last few weeks, we've been reserving extra time to cuddle him, love him, do special one-on-one activities with him. It's definitely bittersweet to know that your first baby is soon going to turn into a "big boy" overnight. I wouldn't mind a few extra weeks to savor this cuddly, nesting time w/...
Hi NewMa, I read your thread and couldn't help but respond... I felt just like you when I was pregnant w/ DS! And the truth is that I generally found most available "resources" for newbies more overwhelming than informative. In fact, I still can't bring myself to go to the Diapering Forum here on MDC--there's just too much information! And there are a lot of people who like to have a variety of different kinds of diapers. We just tried to keep our "system" as easy...
I am so grateful for this thread! DH keeps telling me I must have twins in there... I'm about as big now as I was at Month 5 with DS.... and I'm only 10 weeks along.
April 6
Quote: Originally Posted by Belleweather Wisconsin will also let you homebirth on medicaid. Hmmm. Maybe we need to go north for a little while. We're in Illinois. (Chicago, to be exact... Not too far from Wisconsin...) Anyhow, thanks for the input, mamas. It seems I should post in the Tribal Areas forum too... A general question, though--is it common for midwives to charge a lump sum for all prenatal and birth charges? That is, I...
I'm feeling pretty lousy at the moment... Ever since DS was born 2 1/2 years ago, I've always assumed that my next birth would be at home. Now I'm six weeks pregnant and realizing that I probably won't be able to *afford* a homebirth. I've known for a while about a local midwifery practice that supposedly accepts Medicaid. I talked with them today and it turns out they only take Medicaid if you have a hospital birth. If I wanted to have a homebirth with them, the...