or Connect

Posts by ihathi

Congratulations, proudmamanow! I'll celebrate this moment with you... It's a wonderful thing you've done for your daughter and yourself--you should feel proud! (BTW, my DS is turning two tomorrow... He was a very high-needs baby and I feel very much like throwing myself a party for sticking it out nursing this long... )
Can you recommend any kids books that are in Spanish? DS is starting to speak far more English than Spanish and we know it's in part because he picks up a lot of new phrases and words from his (mostly English) books. So we want to get more Spanish books in his little library, but we really don't like the quality of most bilingual books you find in bookstores like Borders... Many translated books seem to be word-for-word translations of the English versions without...
I got a call from DCFS yesterday informing me that this case is officially closed. The adults who had been present in the classroom insisted that the girl was never left alone(which indicates to me that they decided on a "story" before the investigation was done. Unfortunately, it seems that the investigator that got put on the case was not incredibly motivated--even the local police were getting frustrated with her! It took her more than a month to actually get...
While I can't give you any scientific data in this area, I would definitely point out to that individual that if a mammal offspring is actually ready to "be gone from its parents" within the first year, then it is clearly at a different developmental stage than a human infant or toddler. Many mammal babies are born with an ability to walk--in this sense, human babies are actually quite "unformed" at birth. The point is that co-sleeping is quite normal in the...
Thanks, ladies! I just discovered a new store in town that carries eco-conscious home products. You'll never guess their brand-of-choice for sheets--coyuchi's! My mind's made up--coyuchi's it is. Now I just can't wait for that bed...
Anyone have a favorite brand? We finally took the leap and bought a natural latex mattress today. We should have it in about a week and I've decided that as long as we made the investment to get natural latex, we might as well go all out and buy organic cotton sheets too. If I don't get any recommendations, I'll probably just order from the Gaiam website. That's where we get most of our "green home" products. Thanks!
Sorry, double-post
God, I can't express how grateful I am for MDC right now. Thank you all for your support... The investigation started this weekend (the investigator actually talked to me from the little girl's house on Sunday). But they won't be coming into the school for interviews until tomorrow. It was nice to know that he'd been in contact with the family before today--I'd assume that's why the little girl didn't show up. Anyhow, I went to work today and had a meeting with the...
Quote: Originally Posted by pbandj What is neat is that she seems to understand that there are two words for objects, often she will say the word in both languages. I agree that it's actually a cool thing how early they can grasp the concept of two words meaning the same thing! My 21 m/o DS will often use the spanish and the english word for an object if he knows them. He doesn't generally "mesh" words together, but I think the important thing...
I reported this situation to DCFS and they confirmed that it qualifies as "abuse." In fact, they referred to it as "torture" and they've begun an investigation. I want so badly to call the mother (I managed to get their phone number), but I was told I really should let DCFS take over from here... Does anyone know how long it takes for these investigations to really get underway? Should I still plan on going to the school on Monday in case the child's mother...