or Connect

Posts by Spark

It can't hurt to ask in a specific serious way just to see what her thoughts are on UC. Or even if you just share that you're feeling called in your heart to labor by yourself with others out of the room - that will give her the chance to talk about how much of a possibility that is with her birth philosophy. Most MW do seem to be quite okay with that.   I think you're really wise to explore your options and 'try on' different ideas. It seems like each baby teaches us a...
Well, if I could impart just one piece of advice, it's that you learn from my experience with baby #2, because who knows if you'll have the blessing of a #3 or #4. I really should have been honest for what I wanted and needed. When I began my second pregnancy, it was kind of assumed by everyone (me, too) that I'd do the same HB MW plans that we had with my first, but with a few less people (we had a small party in attendance!). And, I went with that idea, until I got...
I just typed a long detailed response and now it's gone. I trust that you didn't need to read all that or hear the details of my oopsing attempts!   Here's the short version:   Baby #1 - MW assisted homebirth. Present were DH, doula, my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandmother and then my sister-in-law who happened to be visiting and just decided to stay. Labor was 18 1/2 hours.   Baby #2 - I planned an Ooops. I didn't let anyone know though. Instead of a UC I ended up...
All of mine were non-medicated, non-induced homebirths   #1 38 weeks, 0 days #2 38 weeks, 1 day #3 41 weeks, 3 days (Seriously!?! It felt like a year longer than my first two. I mean... I ALWAYS went 38 weeks, right!?!) #4 41 weeks, 0 days
Oh, these are so sweet... and funny, too!   With my first, similar to TreeHugginMama's 3rd, I remember staring at him in shock because I knew him. I can't remember what I said exactly, I was just in awe that he was so familiar.   With my second, I pulled her onto my chest and said, "Hello, Little One."   With my third, I pulled her to my chest and being so happy and in awe that she was on the outside of me (90 minute labor). Then, I was really excited to find out if...
Sg, you definitely have my support either way! We all make the best decision for ourselves. Excited for that little one you're building strong and healthy!
All of mine were at home and all had days/weeks/months??? Of prodromal labor. 1st - 18.5 hours 2nd - 4.5 hours 3rd - 90 minutes 4th - 100 minutes In most cases, I think, no matter how long the labor is, it seems to take just as much energy. I was as tired afterthought 90 minute birth as I was after the 18 hour birth.
Stacia and New Moon, I know a lot of women who were really happy with them. Pat Kramer is who I used because of her low transfer rates, so many years of BTDT experience, low tech great outcomes and really after I interviewed her I just knew she was the right person to assist.
Just to offer another alternative and a warning about relying on the Eldon cards for blood typing - I'm Rh- and my husband is Rh+. We've had 4 kids all born at home in some version assisted/unassisted. Many birth advocates believe that it's modern birth practices that create mixing of fetal and maternal blood (cord clamping, early cutting, forced pushing, augmentation, etc). Even with RhoGam after delivery, they added RhoGam mid-pregnancy as protocol and still they're...
Oh! I see so many familiar names and stories! I'm Spark and I had a different user name when I first joined in 2000/2001 post crash. It was my actual name... Because I was totally clueless about safety on the internet! Ha! I read Mothering before I even had kids (mid-90's) and found MDC when I was expecting my oldest. I didn't really post much then, but I certainly spent many an hour nursing him and TTC my second! What a wonderful support. Like so many of you, I've...