or Connect

Posts by arb

I came here expecting lots of talk about this--did I miss it? I am curious. Can one reconcile being pro-circumcision for Africa and anti-circumcision for "us"? Has it made anyone here reconsider? Serious questions, not trying to ruffle feathers.    http://www.npr.org/2012/02/27/147491878/tinderbox-how-the-west-fueled-the-aids-epidemic   "Many African countries initially ignored the AIDS crisis, but some nations — like Uganda and Zimbabwe — were successful in...
Yes. They don't see it as "cheap plastic electronic rubbish." Accept it with grace, let your child use it according to your computer-use rules, and when it breaks simply say, "Well honey that was more of a toy computer--it wasn't made to last forever. But wasn't it a fun first computer to have?"
  That hasn't been the case with our kid, which shows that there's a really wide range. [Also, some kids are mullers-over, and will stew on a confusing or frightening piece of news in silence.] Our kid, we have found out the hard way, hears *everything.* Sol yes, we listen to NPR, but the volume goes down ASAP when a war, murder, or other violent story comes on.    
If you adopt from a breed-specific or other independent dog rescue, you can maybe get a dog that has been fostered in a family situation. This can give you some very valuable information--important when you have 3 kids. The way a dog behaves in a shelter environment is not always predictive of how he or she will behave at home. We are happy owners of 2 adopted dogs. The first one we love very much but never got very serious about training. Big mistake. This new one we...
    Breathtaking.    
I love it and plan to share it with my child's teachers.
My faves from this thread are definitely   Declan (I hear great teen boy nickname potential, "Hey Dec!") Cormac (so cool, nice literary reference, fulfills several of your "likes," and sounds great with Rowan) and Leo   I say stay away from things that are super spelling challenges. Unless you're living in Wales, why not name a Finn "Finn"? Say what you mean!  Finn is a beautiful, simple name.
My kindergarten child just had this experience: she was fine up on stage at her little preschool but this elementary school auditorium was a little overwhelming. She was up on stage at first, then when the music teacher stepped up to get the program started, she froze and told the teacher she wanted down. Down she came, and out into the audience with us. She sat on my lap and sang along softly. When the next song started she changed her mind, raced up the side aisle, and...
Agreed. And the "stone cold" facts of human reproduction are so much more beautiful and fascinating than a rainbow bridge! There are absolutely age-appropriate ways to explain this at any age. We told our daughter the *very* basics of sex (in response to pointed questions like "Yes, but HOW does the sperm get to the egg?") when she was four. She thought it sounded silly/gross and hasn't really brought it up again, but next time she does, we will talk about it without...
  That's pretty harsh. I just re-read the OP and what I got was a picture of a caring teacher who is overwhelmed with 26 kids and the need to provide differentiated learning for all. Please tell me she has a full-time assistant? We have a AIG (what they call gifted here) K kid who is also occasionally bored, but she is mostly having a grand time in school, so it's not so dire. She only gets pulled out for AIG enrichment once or twice a week, but that's all they do for K....