or Connect

Posts by Shaki

Cancer sucks! I'm sorry Mama. Sending supportive vibes to you, your mom, and whole family.   My mom lives with us, she has leukemia which is currently in remission. So we are holding steady there. However DD's closet playmate and the daughter of our best friends died of brain cancer when both girls were 4. Before that DD was around when my grandmother who also lived with us, passed away. DD was there for the whole death vigil. Even expressing feelings like she wished...
I would not point out Grandpas behavior or in any way focus on trying to change him. Instead I would make consistent use of the phrase "I've got this, thanks," and remove my child to a private area to administer whatever discipline or processing I felt was needed.   "I've got this, Thanks" is a strategy I picked up from the other mamas on this board and it's remarkably effective. Plus it can be said in good humor and with a smile, so you can be polite and friendly...
get a washcloth wet and then stick it in the freezer...goodtimes!
For the baby stage just holding a book looking at the pictures and talking about the images can be fun. If your babe is grabbing/eating the book (totally normal-my little guy does this and my older DD did as well), maybe try just talking about the pictures pointing at different things and paraphrasing the story. I notice that my little one gets disengaged if I just read the text, but if we move thru a book in a more casual way reading some words looking at the pictures...
For me being specific, really listening, really looking, really responding is what it's about. I think what you said to your DS was specific and showed that you were really looking at and taking in what he'd done. That's not praise that's just being present with your child.  I get the whole non-praise thing and practice it, but I think the deeper problem with a heavy reliance on "Good Job!" or telling your child that every picture she draws is beautiful or whatever is...
I am the OP. Posting again in case someone with the same problem is ever searching the forums. I did resolve the biting issue, It happens only occasionally now. Yelling did not help (for us). It would make my DS laugh and my older DD (who is not used to me yelling) was pretty appalled. "Mom," she said "he's just a baby!" So I stopped yelling.   Here is what did work to stop the biting:   nursed with minimal distractions. No tv, computer, or reading for me: I...
bumping anyone advice??
Help please. My DS is a chronic biter while nursing. It's VERY difficult. He is 11 months old and I am desperate...I have tried pulling him in towards the breast (which does make him release the nipple but has not stopped the biting), I have put him down calmly and walked away for a moment, I have put him down less than calmly and walked away for a moment (I have done all this pretty consistently). He has heard endless variations on "biting hurts mommy, if you bite no...
Yes I would absolutely be concerned. I would immediately discontinue visitation and seek both legal and medical/emotional help. Best of luck to you. Listen to your DD take your own feelings and her feelings seriously,
Yes it sounds like you need to become more callous about donating and returning things. I didn't mention it in my previous post but we have some experience with what you are going thru and I finally just decided to stop worrying about what the Grandparents were giving... I don't try to control it, and I now return or donate any unwanted or inappropriate gifts with no problem. Really it's no big deal to return or donate stuff and it saves holiday angst. If you return it,...