or Connect

Posts by christmasevetwins

Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie I do agree that when you put it all together, it is cause for concern. But not having a bowel movement every day in and of itself is within the range of normal for a newborn. Hmmm, well, I think you and I have a different definition of "normal." While it is possible that a newborn baby can have an infrequent stooling pattern and still be fine, I do not agree that it is "normal." It is very rare and is a...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie It can actually vary and is within the range of normal, even for a newborn. Coupled with other things, it may or may not be a cause for concern, especially when formula is being added into the equation. I've not heard this. IME and from what I've learned from LLL and LCs, an infrequent stooling pattern in a nb is not normal. From Dr. Jack Newman's site: --Any baby between five and 21 days of age...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicole913 It is normal for breastfed babies not to poop daily, my daughters went up to 3 days between pooping sometimes. Not at 7 days old. After six weeks, it is normal.
I agree that the bottles need to go. Feed the baby the pumped milk/formula with an SNS or a syringe. You can get the syringe at any pharmacy. We used a 10ml one with my twins when we were supplementing with ebm. It sounds like your little guy is favoring the artificial nipple and that is why he's not wanting to latch. The syringe isn't hard to do. Basically, I would lay the baby on my bent knees, in a semi-upright position. Insert the pinky finger of my left hand and...
Quote: Originally Posted by MiamiMami Please get some "in person" help right away! Sleeping all day is not a sign of a content baby. She may be too tired to cry or to nurse. In the meantime, try undressing her and keeping her close to the breast to try and get her to eat. Make sure she takes plenty of areola into her mouth. Nurse her 10-12 times a day. You can supplement with some pumped milk and a small cup or dropper. Exactly.
Quote: Originally Posted by kaylee18 Formula and bottle nipples are dangerous to your milk supply. Your baby could start to suck from your nipples as if they were a bottle, which is painful and not effective. Please get rid of all the artificial nipples including pacifiers. If your baby ever actually needs to get more milk, it can be donated by other moms (see milkshare.com ) and given with a dropper, spoon, shotglass (cup), or oral syringe (no...
Quote: Originally Posted by ktbug Forget her bilirubin. Does she have several wet diapers a day, and some poopy ones too? If so, she's getting what she needs. STOP THE FORMULA, it will decrease your milk supply. Your supply gets built up by having the baby sucking on your nipples as much as possible; it signals the body to make more milk. Formula cuts down on the time she's sucking on you; also, it's easier to get liquid out of a bottle nipple than a...
I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem. I hope things improve for the little guy! Quote: Originally Posted by hergrace The poos are frothy not mucousy. I have just realized that there is a problem with my pump that means the pump isn't emptying the breast of the hindmilk so there isnot enough hindmilk in what I have pumped - which explains why the two better feeders at the breast aren't having the problem. I'm going to get larger horns...
: Basically, foremilk is at the beginning of the feeding and is "skim" milk, meant to satisfy the babies' thirst. The hindmilk is the "cream," and comes at the end of the feeding. Not to be tmi, but are the poos frothy/explosive? I think that leans more toward fore/hind milk imbalance where mucousy poo could be a food intolerance.
One of my twins had green poos for about 2-3 weeks when he was 2-3 months old. They eventually went away without me doing anything. Is he gaining weight? Does he seem gassy at all? If he seems fine, I wouldn't worry about it. At first I thought it could be a hind/fore milk imbalance too, but that seemed unlikely since they were both emptying my breasts at every feeding (about every 2 hours) and getting plenty of hindmilk. And, I just want to say, Wow! You're...