or Connect

Posts by claridad

***WARNING: DISCUSSES ENDING! DON'T READ IF YOU AREN'T FINISHED READING!*** I finally finished it and really liked it. I was sad that it ended so soon though. There are so many unanswered questions. I want to know what happened to the Giver...the community and to Jonas and Gabriel! I was dissapointed to learn that Gathering Blue isn't really about them but about another character in a similar society. I really liked the book though. It brought up some thought...
carlsmama- I only on ch. 5 so I'm not too far along yet...but it is driving me nuts not knowing what happens to a newchild who is "released"...and what happens to the old folks when they are "released"...very bizarre. In some ways the community seems comforting...but for the most part it is frightening me. I am hoping that Jonah will meet someone (maybe the Giver?) who will help him learn what is in the outside world. It's the end of the school year and all I am having...
I really like it so far and it definitely reminds me of 1984. I have a lot of students who have read it at the jr. high level and love it. I am looking forward to getting some time today to read again...I'll be back!
I will read it with you. I've got some copies at work of both The Giver and Gathering Blue. I will start this morning and let you know how it's going later!
dr. worm...I didn't tape it. I only caught about 30 minutes of it. I don't know if it's a series or a one time show. At any rate, the part I saw was from about 2 mos. to 1 year. They showed three (I think) different families on the journey through the first year. It was interesting because all three families were quite different. I liked the casual approach of the filming. Each family seemed quite flustered though gettting through the ups and downs of the first year. All...
This same issue REALLY bugs me! I know that it costs a lot and isn't practical, etc...but people are REALLY influenced by what they see on television. People actually think IRL that you can have a baby and still have a life...a life of coffee houses and roof top parties and shopping trips and long afternoons with friends. Well, you CAN have these things in life, with baby...or with baby sitter. But on these shows the baby just disappears. It annoys me to no end!!! We do...
Can I join in here? I really need some accountability to get rid of these last pounds and stay in shape. I've lost 30 pounds since June...(most of it lost between June and December) I started in June at 165 after having my two girls. Now I have been able to stay consistently at about 135....but can't move past it. My goal weight is 130...(I'm a shorty) and I am afraid of never meeting it and once I meet in not being able to maintain it! I am a sucker for sweets and...
I'm a 31 yo high school English teacher (good to see so many teachers here!). I have two amazing dd's, ages 3 and 4. My dh is also an English teacher. (We LOVE the time off!) I am happy to see this board up and running. I have wanted a working mamas board for some time. I love reading and spending time with my family. I wish I had more time to do both!
Virginia Woolf by the Indigo Girls some will strut and some will fret see this an hour on the stage others will not but they'll sweat in their hopelessness and their rage we're all the same the men of anger and women of the page they published your diary and that's how i got to know you the key to the room of your own and a mind without end and here's a young girl on a kind of a telephone line through time and the voice at the other end comes like a long...
I read the book a week before I saw the movie, and have also read Mrs. Dalloway and some other books by Virginia Woolf. I think this REALLY helped regarding my appreciation of the film and understanding of the characters. I've also read a couple of biographies about Woolf (English major in college). SO...I'm not saying this to gloat...but to say that I can see where the movie wouldn't make as much sense without knowing all the background. That is one of the major negative...