or Connect

Posts by momea

Hi there! I think you should talk to someone who know A LOT about adoption. My best friend just reunited with her birth mother and I learned so much about how complex and overwhelming adoption and all the issues surrounding it can be. There are counselors who deal specifically with adoption and I can pm you with the name of a woman my friend talks,with (over the phone) if you like. I know there are some support groups onling a la MDC I'm sure you could benefit...
thanks It's incredible how worked up I still get over this - it happened so long ago! E
Quote: Originally Posted by lifetapestry ... all the hysteria in this thread is amusing-- when it isn't scary ... Hey! Hysteria? Amusing? That's a low blow! I started this thread because my BREASTS were GROPED by a stranger in front of TONS OF PEOPLE! Do you seriously think that's okay? Justified? Has that happened to you? And I think you're minimizing the situation big time! Just because your child is okay with a pat down doesn't...
For me, it happens more often than not I end up saying "I KNEW this would be a problem!" And it might be a little awkward to send her back before everyone was expecting it, kwim? Would you feel obligated to keep her even if it wasn't working out for you? Is she coming mostly to be with your daughter and family or because she wants to attend the day camp? It might make a difference in her attitude - if she's coming mostly because she loves being with you guys...
Woops - sorry all! I had revived my previous rant because I wanted to give people the update I'd gotten from TSA. It's good news I think ... pretty much Think my reviving post got lost amidst the others tho'. Can I just ask - why would anyone go to jail for refusing a patdown? : And, I can't help it! - I don't think protesting what I believe to be completely out of control fear mongering, government heavy handedness, and a giveaway of our human rights -...
I've been keeping touch with TSA because I had a feeling people wouldn't stand for this! I'm so glad people didn't! Gives me hope So here's the latest email they sent me - I just cut and paste the relevant parts: "In the months since the new pat-down procedures were first instituted, TSA has been closely evaluating the effectiveness of the new procedures, as well as customer feedback. Based on our own analysis, the agency has adjusted the procedures in a way...
Hey thanks all for the replys. I do see that this is pretty much, at this point at least, mostly *my* problem. Like so many of the posters described their children - she is BIG not just "fat". We secretly adore her sweet ball of a belly, but now that it's viewed as negative by family and others, well it's hard for me to not let that get to me. She isn't hampered by herself at all. And it can be a positive I see too. For instance, I don't feel as physically...
Oh man - where do I start with this? My dd has pretty much always been chubby. She hardly ate any solids until about 18 mo, and was exclusively bf. But now she's 4. And she looks 6 - she's really tall. So waaay beyond the age where most people think chubby is cute. Or even think of children as being "chubby" at all - just ... fat. And "CHILDHOOD OBESITY - the EPIDEMIC" is frigging *everywhere*. And my father and my mil both have serious issues with "fat". ...
oh man - sorry for your little girl my little girl is only 4 and similar ugly stuff has happened to her. probably the difference is she doesn't really totally get that she's being treated badly. kinda heartbreaking. One thing I do is try to remind her that it's hard to always understand why people act the way they do sometimes. books are a great way to talk about this with kids I think - it's a pretty hard concept to grasp - and even harder to remember "in...
I've heard that the "mugger defense" type classes can be fun for mothers and daughters to take. And can come in pretty handy! I heard of one that dealt with date rape - which would be awesome I think. I mean, we can tell our daughters what date rape is, but if they hear from someone else (and in a group setting) that it exists, that it's wrong, and that you should do whatever you have to do to stop your date from violating you -hey, that goes a long way in my opinion! ...