or Connect

Posts by momea

well wildmonkeys I was one person who posted saying I thought the timeouts and withholding of the candy reward the op described was unneccessary ... but I would be totally happy to have my daughter in your class - I think what you described is completely different from what the op described! I know you have to maintain order in your class - parents wouldn't want to enroll in a class that was unproductive because it was out of control - and that's no fun for kids either. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaduck Sounds totally normal to me. I think it is helpful to think about her needs in terms of her personality, and think about how that affects your needs and your personality. My oldest child is an extrovert, and wants constant interaction. It helped me to remind myself that spending time alone was a drain on his system. It literally made him tired and worn out to be alone or to play alone. The way that constantly...
Yeah - I think it's totally okay. And I also think it's helpful to cultivate the attitude of authority that will allow you to "carry on" without feeling guilty. It's not like you are doing this all the time over trivial stuff - just to get a kick out of being the powerful one. For sure I have to do this all the time as I have two children now. They often want mutually exclusive things so somebody's got to give. I hope you can stop second guessing yourself. ...
Hey all! I've been noticing that there have been a lot of mommas on the boards lately who seem to be feeling like their child is "completely out of control" - and also that their child's behavior must have something to do with them. In a nutshell, and simplified, I know, - my child is wild and it's my fault! I'm a bad mom! And I feel like this all the time! I *never* feel like a good mom. Which means I'm pretty much narrowing in on my children's "bad" moments. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Wilhemina I mean, should it be necessary,in a 45 min. class that is supposed to be great fun for the students, to use bribery, threats and punishment to control the class????? No! How frustrating! I've had some problems with classes/instructors with my daughter too - it seems like it's mostly with the little kid classes ... ?? Maybe she could drop it for now and sign up again when she's your older daughter's...
Congrats! For me, having a second was just as much an adjustment as having our first. It took about 3 months for me to get on my feet again. Newborns are a lot of work. No doubt about it. But they are also so ... magical! And your first will be able to share in that! What a gift!! And she will learn so much about parenting from seeing you parent a newborn. Also, I think, a true gift. And when they meet face to face for the first time your heart will...
Thanks! Eve
Hi all, Well ... it could easily be me you're talking about when you say you see posts from people advising others "not to call". Although honestly I don't think I have ever have told someone *I* wouldn't call in any of the situations you mentioned ... if someone had first hand knowledge or serious suspicions and they could name what was making them worried about abuse. I just think it can be too easy to "suspect" abuse when a family is not "normal" ... and I don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by sistermama Another thing about the Disney stuff though is that the costumes do look a little sexyfied to me. Oh man - THAT'S what really bugs me about the Disney princess stuff. To me they are completely sexified (perfect word for it). Trashy also comes to mind. My mil got my dd a Snow White dress - I too ditched it first chance. The picture of Snow White on the front of it just got under my skin! And it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dechen My mom's feminism helped me feel better about the sexism I encountered. It didn't make it pleasant, but it certainly helped my confidence and resiliency. Yes! Our girls will know "fat ass" and all the rest of that crap is dead WRONG. And so when they encounter misogeny they will be able to see what's really going on rather than feeling dirty inside, or playing up to it - or all of the other ways women...