or Connect

Posts by momea

sorry - just had to chime in here - coming off the "mother" thread I have a big girl and little boy. I wanted to resond to what somebody said about how raising a strong girl is totally respected and desired, and required here on mdc , but if we did the same things with our boys that we're doing with our strong girls, it could easily be seen as raising violent boys. For example, my daughter loves to play princess - with her sword! She really likes her sword! She...
in a word - pinworms where i'm from if you sit in the dirt with nothin' on you'll be scratching in the night pretty soon after!
Hey all, It really bugs me when the people I PAY and HIRE to teach my dd something or take care of her for a few hours, etc. act like I, or some other parent doing the same, is a big stupid pain in the neck. I don't like hearing staff gossip about parents. I don't like being chastised for forgetting something or asking a stupid question or not knowing what's going on. I don't like being lumped into a "parents" category and treated like an anonymous but...
Hey all! Both of my children sleep with us. The baby wakes up the 4yo, the 4yo wakes up the baby, who won't go back to sleep. My husband doesn't fit in the bed. We are all usually pretty tired. And when we're sick - well let's just say it's pure heck! Nobody get ANY sleep. But - I like having my kids near me in the night. It makes my oldest feel safe, she clearly needs it, and my infant, well there's no question! But I don't know anybody who cosleeps! ...
Hey there! My children's grandfather made them one of those birthday spirals (Chinaberry?) and just before we go to bed on the birthday night we light it up, a candle for each year, and sing "This Little Light of Mine". Then everyone describes one thing they absolutely love about the birthday child. My kids really seem to like it - even the baby who doesn't really get it yet. Hope you all have a wonderful celebration. These times can be so much fun! Eve
I'd say something. I know it will be hard but it's a gift you'd be giving her. To help someone be a better mother to their child is priceless. Imagine the guilt and pain you'd be saving her if she could change, even a little! I know if I were in her position I wouldn't want to hear it. I can imagine how painful it will be to her - yuck - what a can of worms! But I've have routinely begged my husband to tell me if I do a couple things that I know could be...
Hey - sorry if this is redundant but I wanted to post because sexual abuse is a huge worry of mine. I read a great book called Protecting the Gift that addressed the issue of sexual abuse and how to keep your children safe very well IMO. What I basically got out of it is - Children are most likely to be abused by a family member or family friend. He writes a lot about the "red flags" and dangerous situations we should look out for. He does also have info for how...
Hey there - I just want to support you in that, at this stage of your daughter's life, this is completely your decision. I wouldn't let my dd do cheerleading until she was much much older. I just think at this young of an age it's near to impossible to undo any crap that gets into their little heads. I always liked how Dr. Sears described children and priviledges (choosing to participate in an activity my husband and I don't approve of is definitely a priviledge...
Hey - maybe the Colorado bar could give you some advice about free legal clinics - where you get to talk to a lawyer for free. http://www.cobar.org/ I'm sorry you're in such a tough situation. I hope you get far away from him as soon as possible. Nobody deserves that kind of abuse.
Whoa, I just did a search on myself. It's been 4 years. I can't believe I wrote some of the stuff I did. But, also, and mostly, what a window into this journey I've been on. Eve