or Connect

Posts by momea

Hi all, I am considering sending my oldest daughter to a Catholic preschool. But of course they won't budge on vaccinations. I might be willing to have my dd vaccinated now that she is older ... but I'm worried doing this might put our baby at risk for ... well that I'm not really educated about - but I thought this might be a good place to GET educated! I've heard stories about vaxed kids getting unvaxed kids sick and an aquaintance once told me about how she was...
This is an issue for our family too - not because I care over much about my size - but because my mil is very very aware - of my size and hers as well. She is not "fat" at all - and I would be considered "husky" by most people's standards She has said in front of my daughter over and over again about how she was fat as a child and very unhappy because of it. She tries to get my dd to do "exercises" with her - and I know it's not "just for fun" but because she thinks...
Hi all, Well this idea has been brewing in my head .... thought it might make for a fun discussion and I'm wanting to hear some other perspectives to round out my thoughts on the matter. I'm wondering if psychology - as an academic field of study and in practice as counseling and psychotherapy, and pop psychology, especially parenting books - is really all that helpful to mothers and children. I'm thinking these professionals, as a whole, are pushing...
Hi edamommy, know this is kinda old but just wanted to say that I finally got to a point when I realized feeling like failure was preferable to disliking/resenting my child. sleep has been a real issue for me too - especially with my second now that i don't have any nighttime help and it seems as if one or the other is keeping me up for a considerable part of *every* night. when i get sleep things look a lot better to me - in fact I'm such a better mommy I don't...
Okay - I just have to take issue with anyone who thinks it's okay to do this to children - even in the name of national security. 1. What am I teaching my daughter if I allow her personal space to be violated? I think I would be teaching her that when someone in authority says "I get to touch you" then you let them touch you. That puts girls at risk for abuse. Period. 2. I just can't articulate this well - maybe someone can help me here - but if I got...
I fly a lot. I fly with my two children a lot. To visit far away friends and family. I *always* am singled out for "special treatment" with airport security. I get to go through a special line. I get to take my shoes off, I get treated to a "wanding", I am searched and my bags are pawn through. I am treated like a criminal and a threat to my country, but I have always handled it with grace. Until I was told that in order to board the flight I really needed to...
I so feel for you! If it's any consolation it did get easier for me too. As in - the frequency of both of them really really needing me and only me at exactly the same moment has decreased. But really anything can throw that off - like sickness or stress, etc. Two bits of advice When one child simply must wait for you try to breathe and tell yourself you're doing your best and so are they. Lower your standards. Not for child care but for stuff like dinner (pb...
Quote: Originally Posted by sovereignqueen ... there was also a great book about a princess who ran away to live with a dragon, but I can't remeber the name of it..... Dealing with Dragons Hope I'm not being redundant - couldn't get through all the posts - though I will later as this is very interesting to me. Grandma asked my daughter what princesses do - "kill dragaons" was her response. It was from listening to the Dragonslayer...
Oh man - I could totally see my daughter doing something like that. She's almost 4 and I really can't remember if this is something I would have done when she was younger ... but, as one poster said it is really scary to realize you have the power to hurt and don't have the power to control yourself. maybe a way to provide consequence, safety for baby and help oldest not to hurt or act out could look like this - it's what I do for my girl - when you need to do...
So much of the advice I get for solving parenting problems, from major issues, to little irritations, involves going out and buying something! Anyone else notice this? This is just one example - one person has told me many times to bring toys on the plane for the baby when we fly. "Get some new stuff so he'll be interested in it". I'd have to spend around $100 dollars to buy enough snazzy toys to last the entire trip. I don't have that kind of money - I spent my...