or Connect

Posts by mad cow

i took all the passport photos and when they were babies I just laid them down flat on a beige carpet and it was fine. in Japan we have to appear in person for renewals because of international kidnapping fears... a few years ago we could renew by mail, but now we must appear in person... both mother, father and child.... on a week day.. rather expensive to travel to the consulate and troublesome.... my husband keeps questioning the need for 2 passports, but I think...
i have been in japan for 22 years, married for 12 with 3 kids.... they have dual nationality. I plan on being here for the long term.... never once thought of myself as an expat.... rather just a foreigner... in japan.. with a japanese family. flying back to the states this year and sick about the expense and the extra security and stress with traveling.....
oh, i have done this several times!!!! 12 hour flights.... the busiest was with 5, 3 and new born.... bring "busy" little toys and non sticky snacks. I also kept them busy with empty cups and ice. keeps them hydrated, clean (not sticky) and doesn't matter if it spills. I just picked up a variety of little toys and handed them out whenever... on night flights they didn't sleep... but even the headphones kept them busy. The loud noise of the plane and the constant...
I have been in Japan for 22 years, married to a Japanese man for 12 years and not even once have I referred to myself as an "expat". I will never take Japanese nationality, I have 3 japanese kids. I am merely a foreigner in Japan. yoroshiku. and I am probably best described as a person from another time zone.
hello okura. my kids are older than yours and are quite often uncomfortable with the attention. I tell them that sadly they will continue to get this attention and that they just have to learn to live with it. while I try to explain to them that being born in japan, raised in japan and never having lived anywhere else, they are 100 percent Japanese, and their MOTHER is gaijin. but, with not black hair and not black eyes, they are also, GAIJIN. I hope that by example...
yeah, I hate when that happens. and what about when everyone orders their own meal... and every one thinks the veggie meal looks so good and just wants to try it.... and everyone takes a bite, but are unable to share their own (meat) meal. same goes for when I bring my own stuff and every one wants to try it... but cant offer anything in return.... its nice and flattering and all... but leaves me still hungry!!!!
aha, a vegetarian tribe.... and the discussion has been very interesting so far. I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. WOW!!! my husband and kids choose to eat meat ...... edamommy, I love your name, too. And I hadnt realized that you got kicked out over at the veggie boards.... perhaps "vegetarian with an attitude" would help to describe being "too vegetarian". but, the thing is.... meat is meat. and no meat is NO MEAT. hio hip hooray!!! to the TOO...
and just to put in my two cents........ I thought it would be really easy to be a vegetarian in (buddhist) Japan, but actually I have the same frustrations that most of you have mentioned..... how do you get your protein? what do you eat? do you eat fish? shrimp? crab? (this list goes on and on and on) and sometimes in a restaurant I order spagetti with tomato sauce (after checking and double checking that there is no meat in it) and it comes full of either 10...
wow!!! what great timing... we just got a box from the MIL yesterday with a big bag of beans from her garden....... first of all I will go around to the neighbors and give them all a bunch and then I will try the recipe from Mollie!!! thanks for great timing and a great recipe!!!!!!
I use kelp for making broth (konbu dashi). and a hijiki / carrot salad.... and I put wakame in miso soup. I use all this stuff often but the bags seem to stay full for a long time....... if you want more ideas you could look in some japanese cookbooks or japanese cooking sites on the web......