or Connect

Posts by Forest Sage

The television is a really difficult thing to try and separate from, isn't it? We don't have cable, but I know disconnecting isn't an option for alot of families, but if you decide to, it takes some re-adjusting. For alot of people, television is like a drug, and withdrawl is necessary (if they should so choose to disconnect). This is a very interesting article about how TV works on our bodies like a drug: http://www.sciam.com/2002/0202issue/0202kubey.html I am...
It's already been mentioned, but showing strong emotion over guns will make them more intriguing. Plus, if your son has a concern or wants to discuss guns, he may be less likely to do so if he knows how taboo they are in his home. We don't watch TV either, but when my son (3 y.o.) starting showing an interest in weapons, I steered him into what I consider challenging, which is mediaeval weaponry. If he wants to play "defender of the world" I feel better about it if he...
Hi Jenny, my cousin has a birthmark covering her face and alot of her body, as well as other health concerns such as epilepsy and glaucoma. We don't see much of her, but next time we see her I'm sure we will have to have this conversation. I will tell him she was born that way. Then after he comments, I will take the opportunity to tell him (again) that everybody is different. I know it must have made you feel badly, but for what it's worth I'm sure that man has heard...
I was VERY attached to my blanket until my dad sucked it up in the vacuum cleaner when I was 6. I still get all weird thinking about it - it's intoxicating smell and feel of the fake silk border... ~~~ My sisters all had security objects too. One of my sisters (she is 20) still sucks her fingers ALL THE TIME. Another one of my sisters (age 13) makes a sucking noise when she is upset. ~~~ My son never took to any special object. When he...
I have noticed this too, scribblerkate, and it is maddening! Letting your child discover is not the same as being lenient. Lenient describes a term that has negative connotations. The way this bugs me most now that my son is no longer a toddler is with GETTING DIRTY. I get so many disapproving looks if my son looks like a dirty little ragamuffin. Moms are forever saying to me, "should he be getting dirty like that?" Or, "I couldn't handle it if my kids got that...
Quote: Originally posted by Sierra I mean, hospitals still often use pink and blue hats to identify boys and girls, or if nothing else, pink and blue marked crib cards. That may seem benign, but studies have been done with newborns randomly being given pink or blue hats, and the people around them respond differently according to which hat they are wearing. Here's something interesting~~~ Did you know that around the Victorian era, baby boys...
Quote: Originally posted by mamapie I am so gen X. I have not been a paid employee in YEARS. My god you crack me up Mamapie! Me too. I don't think I could attempt to define myself in terms of how I earn a living... or else there would be NOTHING TO TELL!!! Let's see... I got pregnant when I was learning how to be an audio recording engineer. That's right baby, I wanted to hang out with musicians. Before that I was a quintessential art...
I agree, Lee, "differently-abled" is my favorite term too. My store sold it's copy of Judge Preist, so I think I'll try A Letter To Three Wives next. ~~By the way, I should say it's not really "my" store, I don't own it! It's just my favorite video store (independently owned and operated, celebrating it's 20th anniversary in March with over 50,000 titles!!! Cool eh?)~~Eat your heart out Blockbuster!
Finally, I got through the film! Remember the days were you could sit through the whole thing without incessant pint-sized requests?! Yes, it broke my heart, and overall it was a satisfying watch. When I was young my mom and step dad worked with developmentally delayed adults (sorry if this is not the correct term these days, but that's how they were described back then) and my aunt worked as a coach for them, as well as volunteering at the Special Olympics. I remember...
Thank goodness you said that Peggy. My son is 3 and doesn't have anyone besides adults that I would consider his friend. We have a homeshooling playgroup once a week, and sometimes he will play with one child exclusively like he or she is his best friend. Then next time we see that child he acts like they've never met! This is the child who can remember things that happened two years ago (honestly)! I gave up doing the playdate thing because all my son was interested...