or Connect

Posts by AbbieB

I am not directing this at the OP, but at the general conversation around "true risks of home birth."   I think one thing that many moms seem to not want to recognize, that home birth advocates fail to vocalize, is that one of the main differences between choosing a hospital birth and a home birth is who carries the responsibility.   When you choose to birth in a hospital you are choosing to turn over responsibility for your birth outcome to your doctor or...
    Then what specifically was the cause? You said midwives, but what about the midwives? Did they fail to monitor heart tones? Did they fail to have proper resuscitation equipment available? Did they fail to see a cord prolapse? What exactly did they do wrong? Just existing as a midwife was not the cause.   I am asking because I think this piece of information is what women need to know so they can have another piece of information to use to judge any health care...
I'm right there with what you are saying. This is more "care" than I have had with my past 2 pregnancies as well. I did not even mention all the stuff i have already declined to do, like internal exams and the GD test that involves drinking the gross liquid, prenatal screening galore, etc... Shoot, my second pregnancy was mostly self care!   They do not know I'm planning a home birth. They don't know they are my back up. I'm just playing the game so I can have easy...
I am 18 weeks this week. This is my third pregnancy. My first 2 children were born at home, with the same midwife.   For the first time I am experiencing typical, mainstream health care for pregnant women. I am seeing hospital based midwives for my prenatal care, and I plan to birth at home with my original midwife (long story as to why.)   I have been seeing this practice since 14 weeks. I have had 4 appointments already! The first was the typical first...
AverysMomma, those were 2 amazing posts. I could not agree more with your words.       KmAndrews, I have a disabled son. His issue is genetic, not a birth injury, but I completely relate to the pain that you are feeling. He is 4 now and has cancer, we are 1 year out from the diagnosis. I have been on the roller coaster of pain, fear, worry, guilt, blame, and desperation that you have been on, twice.   I also have a daughter that was born at home after 3 days of...
The year my grandmother-in-law gave us all food poisoning, she gave everyone cashmere sweaters in her size. When we opened them up and it was noticed that they would not fit anyone she apologized that they could not be returned/exchanged because she bought them on sale months ago. Then she asked us to give them back since obviously we would not be wearing them.   At least she was warm and stylish that year.  
You are so nice. Here's a shot of me at 8.5 months with my second. Looking at this makes me feel better about how big I am now, even though I feel this big already.  
I have already informed them that I will not be working with MW #3 again. I did that, that very day.   When it comes to delivery, well, I'm planning on staying home and working with the midwife that was with me for my other 2 (she's not local.) I am only going to this practice as a back up, they don't know it though. If I end up in the hospital I will take whoever is on call rather than allow MW #3 in the room. I will not be there trying for an unmediated vaginal...
One of the bosses at my job when I was pregnant with my first, who I happened to see everyday, came up to me when I was about 8 months pregnant and HUGE and said, "Wow, congratulations, I did not realize you were pregnant." I took that to mean he just thought I was getting fatter by the hour or he was least observant person in the universe.
I have not done this yet, but I am planning to do it in April.   Here is my plan. I will just keep going to appointments. I had a 3 week over due baby so I would like to be able to have access to care for non stress tests. I will not be pressured into an induction, let them drop me! I will continue to decline pelvic exams or any testing I do not agree with, I'm building a track record for that now. My 2 kids will be with me for appointments so I feel strong about...