or Connect

Posts by AbbieB

I am so glad to see so many calm, reasonable responses here. There is a registered offender living in a complex at the end of our street. The neighbors tipped me off to him when we first moved in and they saw my then 4 year old playing in the side and front yard. When I looked it up I saw that the conviction was more than 10 years ago and was for a crime involving an adolescent. I can't remember what the wording was but it screamed statutory rape rather than a...
DD started using the stove at 3. She cooked simple, non splattery things like eggs, grilled cheese, pancakes, that sort of thing. She can actually cook scrambled eggs start to finish by herself at age 5. An adult is supervising but not hovering. I think you need to look at your child, not look to an age when deciding when cooking on the stove is OK.
Quote: Originally Posted by ahdoula OK- in the most UN defensive way possible I will say: It is an attitude like that that causes problems! We only unschool a few areas, otherwise we are eclectic classicals. I DON'T feel like I am "suffering" through anything! And my kids DON'T feel like they are suffering either! We have fun! I think so and they SAY so! I also don't go through any arguments or stress to "get" my kids to do their "schoolwork." And to...
There is so much wisdom here at MDC. Thanks mommas for all of your posts. Quote: Originally Posted by LauraN I see you're in Florida. I have to say that things seem to be divided pretty sharply here. The homeschoolers I know are either secular and open to unschooling as a choice (even if they are more eclectic or even classical in their own home schooling) or religious and very set in their school-at-home ideals. I found myself in a conversation at...
I'm curious how others feel about this.
DD is 5 so I have started to get in gear and start exploring our homeschooling community. I'm talking to other homeschooling mothers and looking for groups to participate in. I am in total shock at the judgment out there against unschoolers. The most recent judgment came from some other moms that had recently attended a monthly meeting of a popular local parents of home schoolers group. There evidently was a speaker there talking about unschooling. I have no idea...
I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb and say I completely disagree with everyone here on the door opening. Yes, it is polite to hold a door when someone asks you to. But it is not a punishable offense if it does not happen. I absolutely do NOT expect my children to "say how high when I say jump." When my DD chooses to do things like not hold a door open for me (I have a baby and we have a screen door on a spring so I ask for help with the door almost...
Wow. Just Wow. This women could not even hold her grand baby for the 30 minutes it took you to shower and dress. She felt the need to isolate her and let her scream. There is no way I would ever let her be alone with my baby.
I did not read through all of the relies word for word. Sorry if I am repeating. Worsening pain throughout the day sounds like a latch issue. It does take a few days/weeks to get it right. Don't be discouraged. Both you and baby are learning. I have large breasts and large areolas. I LOVE the breast sandwich and used it for the first three months or so with both kids. I would hold my breast in the sandwich, wait for a wide open mouth and bring baby in for a big...
I'm glad somebody else mentioned Lansinoh. Mommas little Friend for so many things besides soothing sore nipples. I was thinking Arnica massage oil for baby massage, mamma massage (soothing late pregnancy and post partum aches and pains), and later for preventing swelling and bruising on those bumped heads. I also love rose massage oil. It's so soothing and healing. Great for any redness on baby bottoms. I love baby massaging with it. Baby massage book. I was...