or Connect

Posts by Heavenly

If you have actually seen a person with a true case of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia you would not be asking this. 
  IMO the majority of cases of diagnosis of pediatric bipolar disorder are not accurate.  I have heard way too many children being diagnosed with symptoms that were not clear cut and that could have been treated or diagnosed in other ways.  But if you have actually seen a true case of pediatric bipolar disorder like my son then you would have no doubt what a true case actually looks like and that food changes do nothing.  My son had all the food changes, no sugar, no...
You are assuming a lot about people with your comments.  Guess what?  My son has had ALL the dietary changes you could possibly have from the time he was 3 years old.  If a child is truly mentally ill dietary changes aren't going to do anything and it is dangerous to advise people to not get help from a medical professional.  I honestly do not believe you know what you are talking about.  Because if your child was truly mentally ill dietary changes would not have cured...
I would talk to his dr.  In my experience children don't make up this kind of stuff for attention.  Better to seek help and be safe than sorry.  I have a friend from a support group I'm a member (for parents of mentally ill children) who's 8 year old commit suicide.  I never would have thought it possible but now I take any talk of that type very seriously.
He needs the labels in order to get help. How can he get the services he needs without the labels?  He is happy that we are constantly trying to better his life by making sure that we know what his problems are.  Of course it has had a positive impact.  How can it have a negative one when it has resulted in so much help?  For example all of his learning disabilities have resulted in an amazing team of people at his school who truly love and care about him and work with...
I guess I am just writing this post for ideas, or support, or whatever.  I am the mother of 3 children and I have a lot of health problems.  Previous diagnoses are polycystic ovarian syndrome, fibromyalgia, delayed phase sleep disorder, interstitial cystitis and GERD.  I was recently diagnosed with severe anemia that isn't responding to treatment so I am being referred to a hematologist.  3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease and recently started the required...
This piece is really powerful.  I find it interesting that there are 480 views and no comments.  It is the problem that we do not speak of.  It is the silent shame that we as parents of mentally-ill children have to bear.  I agree with the author that we need to focus more on mental health and on treating mental health conditions.  
Have you looked into getting him a thorough psychiatric assessment.  I'd look into bipolar disorder as a possibility as well.  With children there aren't always the obvious highs and lows but instead a constant mood of irritability.  If you go that route please make sure you get a really thorough assessment, not some dr who will seem him for 2 hours and make a diagnosis.  Psychiatric conditions are lifelong and need to be properly managed.  I know you said you aren't...
I have 3 children.  The oldest and the youngest have special needs.  The youngest isn't officially diagnosed yet and living with her is....well most days I wish I could just run away from home.  Unfortunately I don't have any words of wisdom.  I am still trying to figure out how I can handle two with special needs.  I am thankful for my daughter that is "normal" so at least I get to have some of the parenting experience I was expecting.  Sorry, it is really hard. :(
Has anyone else here gone through the diagnostic process with one child and end up having to go through it again with another?  My oldest child is almost 12 and was diagnosed at age 7 with bipolar disorder, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and then with a variety of learning disorders at age 9.5.  My youngest child is almost 7 and has displayed the same symptoms for years but it is now at the point where we can't put off getting her assessed any...