or Connect

Posts by Heavenly

I think in some ways autism is something thart is more acceptable in society and you can tell people your child is autisitc and they are more likely not to judge.  My son (and possibly my youngest daughter) has bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder and ADHD.  When he used to have meltdowns in public I didn't know what to say because mental illness is still totally stigmatized in our society.  It is really sad.  He is stable now but my youngest daughter is having major...
My son is almost 11 and has bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder and a bunch of learning disabilities.  He was diagnosed with ADHD:I in January of 2011.  We have not medicated for it at all because he is on meds for bipolar and anxiety already.  It was a hard road to get him stable and for the most part he is doing great.  Unfortunately what is left over are the ADHD symptoms and he is really struggling in school.  He literally just cannot focus.  His psychologist,...
I'm not talking about homework.  She's in a completely pulled out spelling program.  She finishes the whole weeks worth (4 days of spelling x 45 minutes of class work plus 5 days of homework at 15 minutes each day or a total of 4 hours and 15 minutes worth of work in an hour or less).  With no effort whatsoever.  It is definitely far below her level.  She can spell words that are on the 8th grade list with little effort.  And it is like that in every subject.  Teacher...
My daughter is turning 9 next week and is in grade 4.  She is in enrichment for everything they have available (math, science, language arts, spelling) but it still isn't challenging enough.  For example, for her spelling enrichment program they give them a folder of work to be completed each week.  She finishes the entire weeks worth of work in an hour and then has nothing else to do.  Same thing for the other subjects.  She was so excited when she was able to join all...
I would go for it.  I think holding the back does more harm than good in a lot of cases.  My daughter's birthday is November 9 so she is almost always the youngest in her class (cutoff is December 31).  She is currently in grade 4 and still 8 years old.  We haven't had any issues at all.  It sounds like your son is educationally ready and being held back may cause him to be bored in school.  My daughter is gifted and doing enrichment in almost everything (basically...
How we discipline our bipolar son depends on his stability level, his triggers, etc.  When he is mostly stable, doing well then we will discipline him for things and hold him to a higher standard (we discipline by sending to room and also removing privileges).  When he is unstable we don't hold him to the same standard in what he says and does as we would with a "normal" child.  We know that it is the disease causing it and we just try as hard as we can to remove all...
Olivia is in grade 4 and despite enrichment is still not being challenged at all.  She is in enrichment language arts, spelling, and math so far.  Today she told me that she finished her entire weeks pack of enrichment spelling in 1.5 hrs.  So she now has nothing else to do until next Friday.  She is very frustrated and wants to actually be challenged.  She is starting testing at the beginning of November so we can get a better picture of where she's at and decide where...
The practice that we are going to has 6 psychologists.  We are going to the one who specializes in gifted children.  My son was tested through the same practice but his was for severe learning disabilities and we saw a different psychologist.
Of course if you are paying for it.  Olivia is already receiving enrichment in most stuff in school but she still wants to be challenged more.  We are doing the testing to see exactly what we are dealing with.  It is an extensive process - about 5-6 visits of 2 hrs each and for us the cost is $2200 but our benefits cover 90% of it so its not a big deal.  
Has anyone had their gifted child undergo psychoeducational testing?  My daughter Olivia is almost 9 and she is going to be starting testing next Monday (October 24) for giftedness.  It is going to be a whole panel of tests, not just an IQ test, because the psychologist we are using says she likes to do a full panel to get the broad picture of the child's abilities.  Olivia is excited because she loves tests.  Has anyone else found this to be a worthwhile endeavor?  Do...