or Connect

Posts by mamallama

wow--I'm lovin the wisdom coming from SoulCakes. I hear you saying you can't get rid of the dog...but I wonder what your mom, before the Alzheimer's, would have wanted. If you're set on keeping the dog, I would consult a behaviorist and be prepared to do significant rehabilitation. It takes time and patience. The two really jacked up dogs I have turned around took *years* before they were really ok, and they never did get to be what anyone would call sound. I...
I think that sounds about right. One of my dogs is a high energy lab/shep. At age two I was walking him for an hour every day, playing frisbee for 10-15 min two, three times a day, sending him out on his own (fenced yard,) several times a day...and if the weather was horrible or if I was sick or if I just had to skip the long walk that day--he was really hard to live with, even with lots of extra frisbee. He eased up on his exercise needs at around age 3-4. He's...
My understanding is that the slow kill is only safer with a low load. As I understand it, the American Heartworm Society recommends the immiticide treatment for dogs with a moderate and high load. I adopted a hw+ dog. I have a good, longstanding relationship with my vet, and since she recommended the immiticide treatment for our case, we went with it. The treatment period was tough--crating, leash walks, No excitement...but it was ok, and by the time it was over she...
Saving him from his last moments of suffering is the last kindness you can offer. Do it. I had a beloved elderly greyhound--my companion for 12 of the hardest years of my life. I waited too long. His last day was horrible. It's been five years, and I still regret waiting. I will likely always have that regret. Looking back, he didn't get so much out of that last week. I didn't get so much out of that last week. No one gained anything from him laying in the sun...
...I just got some great advice...and I don't need this out there in the world anymore.
I used to think ignoring the little digs was good advice...but I have very recently changed my mind. Now I think it might be more beneficial to (gently) point out the transgression. For example: SISTER: I have some old pants you might like. They're too big for me since I started taking care of myself. YOU: I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounded. MIL: I saw Julia's baby the other day. She's SO well-behaved. I'm so glad Julia got her...
Quote: Every now and then I think "maybe I could do this again...." then I pray for sanity and go to bed. Thanks for that. I came to this forum because I've been thinking maybe I could do it again. Maybe I'll sign up as a research subject instead....
I noticed that you wrote in a positive tone about the opportunities that you would have if you don't finish the graduate program and in a negative tone about what it would be like if you do finish it. I have no advice--I just wanted to point that out.
In thinking more about being "open minded" I remembered a conversation I had with a friend's grandfather when I was in my early 20's. He was a crusty old navy seal. Korean war vet. I talked with him often. Most of the time we disagreed, but occasionally he came out with some real gems. I really liked him. Once he said to me "the problem with you is that you're so open minded your d@mn brain fell out." At the time, I was really angry that he would dismiss my...
Recently I read an essay titled "What You Can't Say." Here's what I think I probably shouldn't say : In this day and age, people are very, very fond of using the term or the concept of "open minded" to mean something entirely different from what it means at face value. "Open minded" is a phrase I don't use to describe myself, because I think that most of the time when people use it, they are actually describing a specific set of moral beliefs. While I am actually...