or Connect

Posts by mamallama

Quote: Originally Posted by A&A And I think life is too short to not enjoy the life you have (general you) right here, right now. Fair enough. I can see how what I said might lead someone to think that if they do xyz then they will be happy/fulfilled. I don't want to perpetuate that line of false thinking. But...the op wrote about making a lot of money (COL aside, she was exclamatory in how much money they make) yet she's unhappy with her...
I think life is too short for "fake it 'til you make it." We live on one income. We're about $10K above public assistance. I don't think we could do it and have an acceptable quality of life on any less (based on how dh and I grew up and what we're accustomed to--no doubt people do.) Both of our cars (paid off) are more than 10 years old. Our house (and it's systems) is old. Dh and I are both "maker" type people. For the most part, we do our own repairs. I...
I was thinking I should make the interior white for light reflection. I have a recipe for whitewash. Lime is pretty much ok in the soil, right? Other than potentially changing the pH a tiny bit? I definitely need to do something to the sash. It's from a discarded interior window. If I don't treat it, it will warp quickly.
My lovely and wonderful dh has built me a fabulous cold frame from found/reclaimed wood. I need to do something to the wood to protect it from the elements...but what? Dh suggested priming/painting the interior with an exterior grade housepaint (I want it to be white for light reflection,) and sealing the exterior with a decking product. I'm not so sure about having our salad greens in such close contact with voc's. It just doesn't seem like a good...
I'm so sorry When I was 32wks with my 3rd (my most recent, and last,) baby, I attended my most dear friend at her hospital birth. Her baby died. Fortunately for me (or not,) I'm an experienced doula. I had seriously contemplated the reality of prenatal/neonatal death long before I had to personally confront it. It was still horrific. I was not even remotely prepared. At the time I grieved my friend's loss and my unborn son's loss of the boy I thought would be...
With the difficult folks in my life, I take great pains to do it all on my terms. I have a phone with caller id. If it's a difficult person and a positive interaction is unlikely, I don't answer. I call back when the timing is better and when I am in a good place. For example, mornings are a good time for me to talk to my alcoholic relative. I would never take that call in the evening. I do always call back, though. I don't like being accused of avoidance, and I...
I've called 911 way too many times! 12-13 years ago we had a house fire (arsonist on the loose in the neighborhood.) In about the same time period dh and I were sitting on our front porch and someone shot at us from the corner. Also in the same time period there was a street brawl in front of our house--25 or so teenagers congregated at the house across the street and it got ugly. (we moved as soon as that lease was up) We've lived where we live now ever...
Thanks for the advice and reassurance! It was much easier belaying kids. My hand strength was actually not an issue with the kids on the other end of the rope. We all had a great time!
Do not discount the power of the care package! Maybe the items themselves seem trite (to you,) but the significance of your thoughtfulness will not be lost on her. I've really been buoyed up by heartfelt messages from afar. It's the little kindnesses that make all the difference in the world.
Today I did the belay training in preparation for taking my Girl Scouts to an indoor gym tomorrow. It was so much harder than I expected. I'm an athletic person. I work out several times a week. I play softball. I bike, swim, backpack. I seriously contemplated training for a triathlon this year. My problem is not lack of athleticism.... Last year I broke my thumb on my dominant hand. It's turned into something of a permanent disability. After months of...