or Connect

Posts by mamallama

Thanks for the love, ladies. It is comforting to know I'm not the only one who jumps straight to Beatrix Potter at the thought of a mouse.... I am so grateful that my mouse situation is not as bad as what some of you are reporting! One or two a month seems almost manageable in comparison.
Whoa--my bad on not being clear on the neighbor situation! I can clearly see how that wouldn't be cool with very many people! My situation is different. I didn't ask the neighbor's permission, but if I did, no doubt he'd give it to me! He has no kids, no dogs, confirmed bachelor...he uses the "yard" as an archery range for a couple of weeks before deer season starts, and that's about it. It's currently waist high with weeds. I didn't toss it in my yard b/c my...
I totally thought about throwing the whole trap out...but since I had to handle it either way, it was only slightly worse to empty it, and I felt somewhat better about tossing the dead guy into the neighbor's yard (where a scavenger will pick it up well before he gets around to cutting the grass again) rather than sending him to the landfill. It just sucks. ETA--I have been trapping mice for a long time. I've never trapped a leg or tail--it's always been a clean kill.
To start, releasing "varmints" is illegal. Not that I'm so entrenched in the letter of the law, but the spirit being that it's just foisting my problem off on someone else and not actually addressing it. From a biological perspective, house mice fill a human habituation niche. Releasing a house mouse into the woods does the mouse no favor. It's not his expected habitat. He is not adapted to find food or shelter. I am not interested in assuaging my conscience by...
Can I just say how I hate, hate, hate emptying mousetraps?!! Having mice in our house is obviously not an option. I strongly dislike cats. Getting a cat is not an option (also, one of my dogs is a confirmed cat killer.) I don't do poison because I think it's cruel and environmentally irresponsible. Glue traps are inhumane, period. I am philosophically opposed to live traps. Snap traps are where it's at. I really like rodents! They're cute and curious...
Yep--I'm a homebirthing, crunchy, nurse 'em till they're ready to wean, whole foods mama. I don't wear make up (I'm 36 and I look every day of it; maybe I should!) I don't shave. I've never seen an esthetician and I likely never will--it's just not my thing. But...I see this: Quote: The issue is the part/s I can't change. At least not with out plastic surgery. It makes me so depressed and for the last 2 years I have been trying desperately to change my...
I like the tarp idea--easy to whisk off or shake out. How about a hand held vacuum? I assume you're camping...will you stay at places with electrical hook-ups? Alternately, a power inverter (plugs into your van's power outlet or directly to the battery) is an all around handy piece of road tripping gear.
Well, when I need to get away from my kids, I send them to my mom's house (rarely--couple times a year,) or I notify dh that I'm going somewhere and he's on kid duty (couple times a month,) or I drop them in childwatch at the YMCA while I work out (couple times a week.) I had a friend who liked trading childcare with me, but she just moved. That was a great situation, but I really don't have any likely candidates for replacement, so I've put that option on the back...
You say you feel like you should have a plan to do something other than mothering your kids...why? Because of a previously held ideal? Because of other people's expectations? Because it would fulfill you in a way that being a sahm does not?
Focus on the kids having fun together. Can you take something for everyone to enjoy? Bubbles? Sidewalk chalk? a craft? Take your camera and email pictures of the kids having fun together to the parents and g'parents after the party. Plan on something nice for when it's over. Ice cream on the way home? Family movie night? Whatever it takes to switch gears and get on with your happy life. Good luck!