or Connect

Posts by mamallama

I've had elderly dogs. I think it's pretty normal for an older dog to have good spells and bad spells. An older dog going through a bad spell looks a lot like an elderly dog. I know that "hope she pulls through this one" feeling. My experience was that my older dogs (and even after they crossed the line from golden years to elderly) pulled through many bad spells and enjoyed years even, all after I had been so very concerned about some health crisis or...
I agree with not instigating drama. I think that sounds like a healthy, respectful plan. Also, in living with/being family to/having to deal with folks who engage in that kind of destructive crap, the potential to call them out is a card in your hand. I know that sounds cold, but if they're set on playing that game, you might as well outplay them. They know what happened, you know, they know you know. They behaved badly and got busted. Adding a confrontation (or...
I use snap traps & put them out of reach of my kids. It's unpleasant for me to empty them, but at least I know the little suckers had a quick, humane end. Dh just bought a new kind for me (checking the traps is my chore) It works kind of like a clothes pin. It's easy to set, easy to empty, easy (and not gross) to re-use. Even if I could keep my kids out of it, I wouldn't want to put poison into the environment--and I imagine it's a painful death.
I've gotten three from my pantry this week. Usually where there's one, there are more (sorry to say!)
I use snap traps I'm dealing with an infestation right now. I hate killing them, but I can't let them spoil my family's food....
Yikes. That situation would not be cool with me at all. I've had to learn how to speak up for myself/my kids. I don't know how many times I've left somewhere kicking myself and vowing to not let it happen again. With this, I see two potential scenarios. You could talk to her before the next class. Maybe she will have forgotten the situation, but you can remind her of it. Keep it simple and stick to the facts. You could say something like "last week Joey was...
I'm in your geographic region, so I understand about questioning whether or not it's worth the effort. No doubt it's much easier when one lives in the desert!! I have a busy family of five. Our littlest is out of diapers, but just barely, so we have pee'd in pants a couple of times per week & wet bedding a couple of times per month. We generate 9-10 loads per week (messy kids, cloth napkins, rags in lieu of paper towels, etc.) We homeschool. I try to schedule the...
I totally agree with the previous poster about parvo and distemper being major issues. I've worked rescue for a long time--I don't vax my kids, but I do vax my dogs. Parvo is ugly, deadly, and frighteningly common. You won't know you have it until it's too late. Distemper isn't as common here, but dogs still do get it, and they usually don't recover. Check into doing the vaxes once, and then doing titers to assess immunity. I do this. Aside from the 3yr rabies...
Honestly, I think you should just stay at home for as long as you can. Go in pushing. Why use any of your birthing energy for fighting??
I would say the picnic bench is by far preferable to the tabletop--that just grosses me out. Sure, birds poop there, but for the most part, bird droppings carry bird diseases...not nasty puking/pooping viruses. Yes, it is most polite to change diapers discreetly, mostly after baby gets into the wiggly stage, but for a lot of people, diapering is best done with as much privacy as you can get. Playing on the school grounds while school is in session--I think that's...