or Connect

Posts by loitering

We have a little wooden shelf beside the door we always use. Right now it's holding six pairs of my shoes (my entire collection) and three pairs of ds's shoes. We've just made it an absolute rule that shoes go back on the shelf after being taken off. If anyone, even guests, leave their shoes somewhere else, I'm practically guaranteed to trip on them! The coats go above the shoe rack - I have a shelf with hooks underneath. Oh, and since ds was 2 or 3, it's been a really...
I think you need to focus on the habits that will bring about the biggest differences, at this point. Laundry: you said clean and dirty laundry both end up in your bedroom. Do you have a specific spot for dirty laundry? With my system, I have three laundry baskets. At all times one is collecting dirty laundry, another is sitting in front of the dryer, and the last holds clean clothes for folding. Ideally I'd only have two baskets so clean clothes never sat not put away,...
I looked at a rental house last night that is pretty great. It has basically everything we want, and we have to submit our application today. But I'm a bit worried about how we'll manage the stairs in the house with my 24lb, old dog. He may go blind soon, and he's already incredibly careful walking up or down the six steps from our back door to the yard. In the new house, the main floor is the upper level. So every time he needed to go out, he would have to go down a...
I'm right there with all of you. I have a third room in my house that I could use as an office (I'm earning a degree from home.) I also have no real storage in my home. So I would rather have a clean, decluttered home with my office space in my bedroom than a seperate office, but random "stuff" all over the house. The important thing, to me, is that if I've made a conscious decision to keep something I don't need right now - I remove it from our living space. I don't...
I was more envious of the mom on "I'm Pregnant and..Anorexic." Obviously I'm not actually jealous of her anorexia, but I wish I had her lifestyle - exercising all the time, a huge amount of will power, etc. That's MY idea of bliss!
I love that so much of this comes down to "just do it." Once you take the time to do something, you realize how quick it was and how much you appreciate the end result. Recently I've been reminding myself that life is a series of choices, and I can make ones that support the life I want to live, or I can make choices that get me farther away. It's helped for everything from convincing myself to take a minute to sort a drawer to walking on the treadmill to playing with my...
I don't know how to explain this properly, but let me try! I would want the main room that the kids play in and you spend time in during the day to be on the main floor. That way, you can still putter around the house and do what you need to do while you have direct access to your kids. And I would make the basement room a more adult-focused room, maybe with the stuff you don't want your kids getting into (crafts, office, etc). If you don't normally watch TV or play the...
I'm in As much as I was enjoying the holidays, I caught myself a few times today wishing I could go home and start my holiday clean-up!
I recently called about parking tickets on behalf of my mom, explained that she was on a limited income, and had the fees immediately waived down to the original charge. It wasn't nearly that amount, but I would definitely try it.
I have a small jar, and use the money when it fills, but I don't dedicate a purpose for it. I don't use cash often, but ocassionally I'll have my wallet nearby and empty all but a few coins into it.