or Connect

Posts by pampered_mom

I have *zero* idea where to put this thread and am not sure where else I can ask this.  Disclaimer:  I don't care what anyone things about the plan, whether it's good, or bad.  I don't want debate on the merits of the reform or desired repeal.   What I really want to know is about the whole "grandfathered plan" business.  Dh has h/i through his employer.  We've been on the plan since he started about 2 1/2 years or so ago.  I don't think it's been changed since they...
I love CBS Sunday Morning...which I'll admit is a bit outside of my demographic, but my Dad always watched it and I learned to love watching it by his side.  They had a piece yesterday about handwriting and its decline.  I had this "aha" moment when watching it as the rep from Zaner Bloser talked about how they had to change their curriculum form 45 minutes a day to 15 minutes a day in order to make up for all of the other pressures placed in the public schools.  The...
Yes, ideally I should be able to plan my own meals.  Come up with recipes and shopping lists and the like.  On the other hand, right now I'm feeling like I could use the help.  I came across the Paleo Plan awhile ago, but put it off.  The things I like?  It plans *all* of the meals, not just the dinner.  You get a shopping list in addition to the recipes and the meal plan.  The things I don't like?  I'm not sure it will be very family friendly.  The quantities are for...
We were planning on having something afterward at our home.  My kids are big on parties and want *everyone* to attend.  The more people, the merrier is their motto.  I think the explaining part was what dh wanted to avoid, but I concur that it would be best if he approached the issue.  I just don't want to pass up on doing the things we've wanted to do just because I'm afraid of the conflict.  It seems like we end up missing out on things as a result.
By way of a little background while we were both raised Christian, I was raised Lutheran before my family switched to an Evangelical church (think sinner's prayer, baptism by immersion here) so I've been baptized twice - once as a baby and once as a teenager.  Dh was raised Baptist...and all that means.   When my oldest was born we were part of a church that did baby dedication with baptism by immersion and delayed until a personal decision was made.  At that time...
This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks for the link.
Ds found the ETC workbooks as a whole to be a bit on the overwhelming side.  We ended up switching to ETC Online (discounted subscription via Homeschool Buyer's Co-op) which helped with the phonics aspect.  Ds was super interested in learning to write so we've gone through both the Pre-K and Kindergarten HWOT.  I struggled a bit with what to do next and ended up buying a journal.  It's from Mead, has a space at the top to draw a picture in and then the lines below....
I've seen it referenced in multiple places that there's a chart showing how some folks combine both Singapore and Miquon at singmath.com.  Unfortunately it appears that the website is no longer available.  I'd really like to see the chart, though.  Does anyone know what I'm referring to and if it's available elsewhere?
Katala - Thanks for the suggestions!  :0)
Seeing as I killed the thread last time, I thought I'd bump the thread up a bit.  I've been struggling lately with developing my own personal practice - mainly that I need to come up with a fairly easy flow.  Videos are out for me as the ceiling in the basement is far too low for yoga.  Any suggestions?