or Connect

Posts by peacechief

Thanks for the links. I do realize that it will be a while yet before we'd be starting any formal kind of program, but 1. I want to make a very educated decision, 2. I'm excited to be thinking about all of this, and 3. They are fast approaching preschool age, and I'd like to have some sort of handle on the whole homeschooling thing so that I can decide about sending them to preschool somewhere outside the home, or giving it a go on my own. Plus I think it could do us all...
Hi, I'm very new to the whole world of homeschooling. I've got 2.5 year old twins and am starting to seriously consider homeschooling. I've got lots(!) of questions, but to start: I'm thoroughly overwhelmed looking at this forum at the number of different curriculum sites and methods or "schools" of homeschooling - Waldorf, Charlotte Mason, etc... I have no idea where to start. Can anyone tell me what some of the major "schools" (for lack of a better word,...
Thanks, tropicaldutchtulip By "their red zone", do you mean their fighting/anger/being upset/whatever is the issue at the moment? Not taking on their negative emotions (or trying not to show them, at least)? Someone gave me a piece of advice earlier in the week that I've been trying with moderate success (depending on how exhausted I am, the more I'm able to do it). That was to institute a "one warning" policy. Where if I tell them to stop something, they get one...
Thanks - I'll have to try changing location/activity when possible and see if that works. I struggle with needing them to understand that they need to listen (I was brought up where I would get "yelled" at if I didn't respond when my parents talked to me, so it's something that's instilled in me, even though I know, intellectually, that it's just something they're not always capable of at this age). And so it just feels so wrong to let it go and move on to something else...
I've got twin boys who are 2 yrs & a month and they are in a very difficult (but I assume normal) stage and I could use some help! I am trying to use gentle discipline/positive discipline with them, to stay calm, to not punish them too much (though we do do time outs - try to do time outs...), etc. But they are at a stage where they just ignore me a lot of the time when I talk to them. I'll say something 5 times in a row and they just act as if they haven't heard...
Thanks for some good ideas! It's also just so good to hear there are some other moms struggling with this, too. gorgorita: I hear you - I sometimes feel like a bad mom, too, when I just want the boys to play by themselves/sleep/leave me alone for a while. And it drives me crazy, too, when they are playing ok by themselves, but then I try to do something & immediately (even if I'm in the other room - they have sensors!!) they need me to sit in the same room with them...
Thanks, that does make sense. It couldn't hurt to have a list of some varied types of activities that I could pick from. Usually it's not an issue of not knowing what to do - I generally have plenty of ideas. It's more the state of being of feeling on alert the whole time, not feeling able to relax because I don't know how much time I'll have - if I get started with something will I be able to finish it... That kind of thing. Not knowing how to adjust to the...
I could use some advice: I am an introvert, and so being constantly interrupted is very hard for me. But I have twin boys who just turned 2, so being constantly interrupted is a given. Which is hard enough. But lately harder than that is that I just can't count on any time to myself during the day (which is a big need of mine) - I try to get up early to shower and have a little time to get some things done before they wake up, but I never know when they'll wake up, and...
Just wanted to say you have every reason to be proud of sticking it out with the breastfeeding for so long when it was so hard for you - you got your babies the best stuff when they needed it most and it sounds like you did all you could do, and that's awesome! I also wanted to say I admire your courage for being willing to make the tough decision to stop breastfeeding in order to keep your sanity and be able to be there a little more for your babies. I imagine that was...
What are some good blogging sites to check out? My dh & I have a family blog on Blogger, but that's about the extent of my experience...