or Connect

Posts by stlmomof2

Thank you so much for the suggestion, Babylonghorn!
I watch babies in my home and at the same time, when DS (4.5) is not at his part time preschool, he can be really clingy and whiny when we're stuck in the house (e.g. babies napping, bad weather, etc.).  For the last year, he's been doing Reading Eggs, which is made up of lessons that you move through step by step with occasional quizzes before you can move on.  It worked and he can totally read now!  But now I'm panicking because that was one of the only things he would...
It's weird... DS had been intolerable for days prior to me writing the post and now ever since I wrote the post, he's been so sweet.  He does have a wonderful side to him like your DS, Sagelove.  He's very cuddly and loving in certain moment, has a great imagination, loves to tell wild stories and imagine crazy play scenarios.  But sometimes he'll be angry and I can't even tell why.  He'll be sitting there just fuming and growling and screeching.  I'm pretty sure if I...
Thanks, pianojazzgirl.  I have actually read that book only I read it years ago in the context of teaching challenging kids.  I may need to reread that.  I need to brainstorm triggers for him.  Mostly it seems like just randomly he gets an idea in his head of something impractical that he wants and if I don't say yes, then he lashes out.  Maybe there's some kind of pattern to the times or situations in which he decides to start asking for things.
Nobody else????  Please???
Thanks, Ghannit.  Glad to know I'm not the only one and 4 is widely recognized as a tough age.  For some reason, I had the idea for years that when my kids turned 6 and 4, everything would be so easy.  Although he's a lot less physically draining than he was from 0-2, all of the guilt trips, whining, and mean talk day in and day out really get to me.  But when I talk to friends who have intense, challenging children who are 4 or older, they say that their children never...
My son has always been difficult but it seems like he got better around 3 and now at a young 4, is almost as exhausting and difficult as he was as a nonsleeping fussy baby.  Last year, I worked full time and this school year I'm a SAHM and watching 2 babies.  The babies are great--sweet, playful, fun girls.  They restrict our freedom somewhat but we still go to the park and occasionally more exciting places.  Nonetheless, DS spends most of the day whining over wanting to...
DD has recently developed impressive math skills.  She can add double digit numbers in her head, even numbers that would require regrouping.  She adds the tens first and then the ones.  I don't know how she decided to start doing that--I don't remember adding that way as a kid.  She's developing a good understanding of fractions.  She understanding multiplication and has memorized some of her times tables through listening to multiplication rock.  I gave her a state...
My DD goes to a gifted magnet school (she's in preK).  What I've found is that the school has a general policy of accelerating only one grade level but individual teachers may choose to accelerate more.  So dd's class is doing 1st grade math now since they're all ready for it.  They also differentiate with reading groups--dd is in the highest reading group, along with 3 other fluent readers.  They do a lot of structured writing and revising and they keep a journal, which...
My 5 yo preK gifted kid got a 140 on the WPPSI and there was nothing on the report about processing speed.  She seems slow in a lot of ways, though.  She eats, dresses, gets in her car seat, etc. really really slowly.  Her teacher says that she's very academically advanced but SO SLOW at doing her work (e.g. writing, reading, coloring, etc.).  Sometimes she really struggles to explain herself and can't get words out.  It seems like a lot of smart people I know think...