or Connect

Posts by MaryBethMoore

The only person I encounter repeatedly who really frustrates me is a mom whose child goes to the same daycare as mine. She keeps expressing her amazement at how I've regained my figure without going to a gym. What I really want to say is, "If you walked a mile every day carrying your baby, instead of driving your minivan here and then driving 3 blocks to the gym; if you hadn't quit breastfeeding after 2 weeks because your baby was 'too demanding'; if you spent your...
hmmm If you could get your hands on some old kitchen cabinets that you could mount to the wall that could be great for clothes and/or toys. if you sew there is a pattern for those shoe holders you hang in your closet. I can't remember what they're called. There might be a way to adapt them for over the door storage or maybe hang a closet rod across the room? Depending on the door you might be able to attach some hooks and then either hang clothes or tote bags...
Quote: Originally Posted by calpurnia I've made the opposite observation - in my experience it's been those who had restricted TV who turn away, & those who have unrestricted access who don't. I have two who turn away and one who doesn't. Mary Beth of Paul (8), Harry (7), and Timmy (3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Greaseball My dh has three dressers full of clothes he never wears! It's been a constant source of struggle. I finally said it was fine if they stayed in the garage. So tempted to throw those out... At least they're in dressers My dh has just as many in various places around the house. Mary Beth of Paul(8), Harry(6), and Timmy(3)
Quote: Originally Posted by dharmamama That's interesting because I actually think that pop culture detracts from well-roundedness, because the emphasis of pop culture is on things that are transitory. Namaste! I disagree. Pop culture recycles the same themes. One can follow them through the centuries. It can be very educational I don't see a problem mixing pop culture with "high" culture but that's my life. (I"m an art historian.) ...
I'm sorry my last post sounded so harsh. I really didn't mean to. I'm tired and need to go to bed but I wanted to add that personally we love TV (as I"ve mentioned other times) and feel it adds a lot of value to our lives. I don't feel I am endangering my children in any way by letting them watch TV. Like I said, I've read the research and I've reached my own conclusions. Anecdotally I've often seen more creative play from my TV-watching kids than from non-TV...
Quote: Originally Posted by dharmamama My main response to this is that adults have pretty much completed their neurological development. Kids haven't. Tv interferes with neurological development. I'd recommend reading _The Plug-In Drug._ Namaste! I've read the Plug-in Drug and I was not impressed. I"ve done some research on the subject and I've found plenty of studies to refute it. Mary Beth of Paul (8), Harry(6), and Timmy(3)
My biggest problem is toys. Tons of toys. I've manage to almost completely decluttr the main floor of our house. I must add that our house is pretty small Anway I'm down to ONE laundry basket of clutter. I should just toss it and in fact I may but I'm too compulsive to do that. I've set up a "toy store" in our basement. I've got shelves full of bins sorted by type. The kids can take one or two bins to play with and return it when they are done. Most...
A few months ago I was sure I was "done." Now we're considering another. Dh says it's up to me. Big help I was really looking forward to having more time to myself (we do school) and not having to chase a toddler around. Now I'm thinking, "We could manage..." I just love having babies and watching them grow. But things are so much less intense right now and I'm really enjoying it. Pregnancy has always been easy for me so I'm not so afraid of that but I...
I have the same feelings as many of you. I moved to a small town 61/2 years ago and I've belonged to the same playgroup all that time. I've never been part of the "in" crowd for what it's worth. Unfortunately I never succeeded in finding another group. It's hard because there are certain people in the group who will make plans in front of the rest of us or talk about their kids birthday party (which most of us are not invited to). There were a couple of very...