or Connect

Posts by east carolina

Some of these posts are really hard to follow, but here are mine:   - When I lived with my parents I answered the phone one day and the voice on the other end said "This is such-and-such from the White House, can I speak with your father" - I interned in the office of the former and now deceased president of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Havel, during which I: swam in his pool, drank beer from his private stash, was invited to his place in the countryside and on the...
I live in a country where there is an approved list of names My DS is Rufus Ferdinand. He's the only Rufus I know personally, we've certainly never met one around here. Most people here are pretty conservative about names, but I've come across a Eunice, Arabella, Felix, Medard, Oscar, Berenice, Ignatius, Amos. Some older people here have crazy soviet names, I know a woman named Oktabrinka is honor of the Russian Revolution. She goes by Inka now My family doesn't have...
  I just wanted to chime in about this last bit. I know it's hard when it seems like all the other 6-year-olds don't do this anymore, when they know how to do something, handle somethings, behave differently and maybe "better," but every kid develops differently and comparing can be a slippery slope. My son is quite an explosive personality and though he's not prone to crying fits, he can be very loud, very forceful and at 8 years old he can't tie his own shoelaces or...
I'm like that, too. I love weird conversations. I actually think this conversation was hilarious. It's like a missing scene from Deuce Bigalow.  
My son was in a Montessori preschool last year, which he liked, but was a little bored there. This year, he's in a private more typically academic kindergarten and he does spend some time every day at a desk doing worksheets. He loves this, he is obsessed with numbers, counting them, adding them up, counting by twos, saying all the number until 200. He notices number everywhere, street signs, bus lines.... He started recognizing letters on his own, and is more than happy...
Reading these books too, and I LOVE them. I just started A Feast for Crows, and I can't wait until Dance with Dragons comes out this summer. Also the HBO series is good, the episodes I've seen so far. This a series I will definitely be re-reading.
I agree with all of the above who said it's a relationship issue. I think it's perfectly fine for him to express doubts or not feel comfortable with celebrating a religious holiday that is not of his faith. What is not okay, is that the two of you are apparently not having a open dialog about it, but it's his way or the highway. This is not acceptable in a healthy relationship; there needs to be some give and take. If he doesn't know how his behavior is affecting you,...
Sponsor of state control of censorship. Certainly a dictator. These are the precise reasons for ruling out his name as one I would consider giving my child. Lenin did nothing to stop the Revolution going on the course that it did. He did not want democracy and this is something I fundamentally disagree with him on. There's just no way he could be my child's namesake, even if he was no Stalin. Why compare them anyway?
I believe it's best to be natural, open and honest and relaxed about relationships.   That being said, I do enjoy being coy and flirting, joking on the risque side, bawdy humor, but only with a willing partner and never with the intent of playing games or manipulating anyone. I've never played by any rules, certainly not by The Rules, and I think it's pretty bizarre that so many people find these sort of games worthwhile. 
My DH is a musician too and has often come home very late (and, um, not exactly sober) from his gigs. The thing with me, though, is that I expect him to come home later than late on gig nights, but he'll go "I'm coming home right after the show tonight, I promise I won't be late." I'll go "no, really, you should hang out and have a few beers afterwards, all your friends'll be there, just come home whenever." Then he'll go "no, I'm coming home early tonight, I'm not in...