or Connect

Posts by erinsmom1996

I respect your choices but I think this article is a little on the extreme side. A gentle time out, to me, is not going to traumatize my child. My relationship with my now 17 year old daughter is proof of that. This type of article only serves to make parents feel bad for not agreeing with the author. Maybe that's just me, though.
I don't think it is fair to say that when other moms put their child in time out they are "withdrawing" their love. I used time outs with my daughter who is now 17 and we have a wonderful relationship. She knows I love her and want the best for her but she also knows when she has crossed a line there will be consequences. In my opinion, parents who negotiate everything with their child and refuse to discipline them in any way (I'm not saying parents should spank) are not...
I think he sounds like he is a little eccentric but I would not go so far as to assume he is a pedophile. From what you said, that sounds like quite a leap. If you are not comfortable with him, change doctors. I would be careful about discussing your suspicions with others in your community because you don't want to potentially ruin his reputation just based on a hunch.
It sounds like you are doing what you can and trying to find positive solutions. That said, I think that it is important that children understand that sometimes the answer is "no" and they should know that we are serious when we say "no". Repeating yourself or trying to reason with him when he needs to stop doing something is not really teaching him that. When he is doing something disruptive like climbing on the counter, why not just remove him from the area instead of...
    I'm glad your method works for you but your post is quite harsh and seems to condemn those who disagree. I don't see how discussing every single thing that you want to have your child do with them until they agree is possible, at least not for me. In the real world, we all have to do things we don't want to do. Your child's future boss is not going to discuss why they don't want to do a certain task with them and come to a solution with them. The boss will expect that...
Mama 24-7, I'm glad your method works for you. However, your post comes across as pretty harsh towards those who disagree. In life there are things that we all have to do that we don't want to do. Teaching children this at a young age, to me, prepares them for the real world. Your child's boss is not going to sit down with them and discuss why they don't want to do a certain task and try to reach a compromise. The boss will expect the task to be done. Children need to...
I'm sorry, but choosing to have another baby when you are receiving assistance just does not seem right to me. I understand you are living frugally but you are still getting money to support your family. Growing the family does not seem to be the best choice or the most responsible one. Many couples choose to wait to have another baby until they can afford it even if they would rather have them close in age. If you have thousands of dollars in savings, how do you still...
      I think it is a pretty big generalization to say that parents who send their kids to head start are lazy. A lot of parents do this so their children can socialize and get some educational experiences that will help them when they start school. That does not mean they don't love their children or want them home with them.
I don't think it is really appropriate to tell people what they can give your child as a gift but you can certainly make suggestions, offer to give them information and hint at what you would like to receive. If someone told me that I could only get their child certain gifts I would be a little insulted and I would feel like they think they are better and smarter than me. You can't really expect all your relatives, especially older ones who are set in their ways, to...
My daughter participated in Destination Imagination during middle school and really enjoyed it. It is great for children who are creative and enjoy thinking out of the box. It can take a lot of time depending on the practice schedule set up by the school sponsor and the level that your child is at in school. However, I think it is a great experience for children.