or Connect

Posts by Alexander

Never wear a bathing suit! I didn't. If you hide what is what is natural, the more intense (and in my view, unhealthy) the curiosity. If she has Qs, answer them honestly and flatly. No poking allowed, you don't like it. No need to be stern, just flat, calm and decisive. (I was going to say "firm" but that risks interception from the misquote and PC word-police Nazis. Anyway, a la Frankie Howard... "titter ye not!") hope this helps
I have a couple of bees in my bonnet: 1) spanking children (instead of listening to, and reasoning with them) 2) the misuse of indutrialised education in an information world This site gave me the opportunity to share with people who wanted to make a postive change to the way they lived, but needed ideas or hints, reasurance and backup and even permission. I'm more out than in these days, but still drop by to lurk.
Quote: Originally Posted by 4evermom What is ASC? Autistic Spectrum Condition (for the misnomer ASD)
Random thoughts I have found that an unschooling environment, either at home, or at an unschool, is the very best place for children with mild ASC. It helps of course if there are staff that know how to create a suitable guide for such children. If they have been through PS I have found it important to help them into freedom in manable steps. /random thoughts
Quote: Originally Posted by nurnur So many things are floating thru my head, and today has been a particualry hard day with the sibling fights...any comments are awsome. tia! Hugs. That is quite an intense post. As I began reading, the thought that conflict resolution and more importantly, conflict avoidance would be important to put into place as you negotiate with your kids. Your last line kinda confirms this So an effective duty...
Quote: Originally Posted by sarahr So far redirection and distraction has served us very well. But she's still, well, almost 3 and I'm beginning to face more challenging behavior. OK. My little bug bear here... but for me, redirection and distraction should be kept for emergencies. They are forms of manipulation and very probably she is at the age where she is able to see past that, and recognise it for what it is. If that is the case, you'd...
Quote: Originally Posted by mariaclaire For instance staying away from baseboard heaters or the fireplace - if I tell her no, or remove her from the object can I expect her to learn to stay away? No. Especially at this age... No way. If you have not child proofed your home up to 24 inches, you and your SO need to get down and do! And I mean, quite literally, get down to "face at floor level" and see what your bundle of joy is going to see and...
2 1/2. Boundaries. Hmm. What is his mood when he does this? Needing comfort? Playful? Mindlessly curious? If comfort is sought, grant it. Curious, then a wry smile and "no!" or "no buster!" should be enough. Playful, then neutral emotional talk. For the other ladies. You have to remove him, take him aside. Kindly, firmly, lovingly. No is no. He can't do that. The key here is that on your side, there be absolutely no anger, irritation annoyance or any...
Lots of good replies here. Yes, taking the power away and co-opting the use/phrase/joke will neutralize the impact. On the other hand, kids do need to learn how to feel expresive of their feelings, so neutralizing one will not help unless you replace with another. So your DD has found your button. Your issue then? I had "I hate you" for no particular reason. Maybe they were whetting their toungs rather than trying to hurt me. I think this is more to do with personal...
Quote: Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in toddlers because it never enters my mind to "discipline" my 16 month old daughter I think the "discipline" is for us Quote: Originally Posted by mom2grrls Can you change her standing up, maybe squirt her off in the tub for awhile instead of using wipes? Took the words right out of my mouth. Then she'd have a choice. Also, does...