or Connect

Posts by Alexander

"Connecting" has been achieved when the child feels that it has been given time and feels it has been taken seriously. This is done by sitting around with the child, and getting into the child's world, letting the child lead, and occasionally, gently introducing new ideas/activities that the child can take or leave, no preasure. That might mean going and thowing a ball with the child, or taking part in a lego fantasy. The child leads. You cannot be fixing the car...
Quote: Originally Posted by Megamus My FB friend and mom of 3 awesome kids says I need to do time outs, but that doesn't feel right, especially at this age and at bedtime. Timeouts at this age just make everyone feel like crap. When children get tired their brains go through something called "flooding" and hence tantrum. (Perhaps this is the source of the CIO crowd?) Flooding is when it is impossible to reason with them. So don't try. Just be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nim If you don't want to do 'time in the corner' ~ Simply outlast her whining. This is unclear. If it is outlasting by not interacting at all, then we are not meeting the child's needs. I feel that responding in some way is terribly important. It can be with sympathy (but not giving in) or facing down (kindly, but without showing any emotion). Quote: Originally Posted by Nim If she whines for...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aridel FYI, many people in the neurodiversity movement refer to "ASC" or autism spectrum condition, so that the negative connotation of disorder isn't there. It gets the point across without implying autism is something to be fixed or anything wrong with a person. Not trying to correct anyone - I use ASD a ton too - just putting it out there since you mentioned you disliked the terminology! Thank you so so much for...
My friend's DS jsut turned 1. He says "gnnn" and "gnnnn" Sometimes he says "ehhhhh" I did not says words until I was 2, my brother was 3. My dad was 4 or so I think. hope this helps. a
I am dying to know how this is panning out. My heart goes out to you. What a struggle! Without being there, and seeing the subtleties, it is hard to see what might work. Three things spring to mind here: 1) Make notes. At the other end of her childhood, when she is grown up, you can publish a book on a month of her life. It will be a best seller! I know you are up to your neck right now, but she is funny. 2) Get in charge. Generally children get frustrated when they...
I am really glad to find this thread. I wasn't sure where to go to discuss my children's ASD (I hate that term actually! "Disorder" is so ill-termed on so many levels). We are un-schooling at home our 13DD. She just had 3 years in a very small elementary school (no more than 6 to a class, and that was 2 grades combined). The small numbers were a saving, she would not have managed more. Here in Japan, there is almost no understanding of managing ASD, and that is among the...
Quote: Originally Posted by flower01 I also need a coping mechanism for me...I'm losing my patience fast and so far the only way I've dealt with it is to get really angry and raise my voice. Help, please. BTW, I am 37 weeks pregnant. What does she whine about? Not withstanding any other underlying problem, the whine might signify that she is aware that she will soon not be alone, and have to give up some attention to another, and the...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaduck Honestly, it makes me furious. That is time that I could be spending with my kids, kwim? Then you should do so! She can always mail you, PM you or skype you! Or she can make a clear space in her time. as
Don't do to your child what you would not do to me. Be tender. Put yourself in the child's position. as