or Connect

Posts by windpowered

Hi! I just finished a book I think would be great for you to read while you consider your options. "Mothers on the Fast Track" by Mary Ann Mason and Eve Mason Eckman. The book focuses on the unique challenges that high-achieving women face when they become mothers, and how they navigate the various choices. Also focuses on why these choices and their consequences are different for men in the same professions. Mothers usually choose between 3 options. Stay full-time,...
Quote: Originally Posted by earthgirl Do you know anyone IRL that is only having one? I have a friend that is also raising an only and that helps. Hi everyone. Quick intro: I'm Diane, have been married to my amazing DH for 18 years, and we have a wonderful DD who is almost 7. We are 95% sure she will be our only. If you care to search my previous posts in the Family Planning forum, you could read about some loooong, painful struggles I have...
Hi Janice. The biggest, best discussion (or tribe if you prefer) for mamas of onlies is here. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...onlies&page=46 Yep - 46 pages! It was moved from the Finding Your Tribe area to the Parenting forum some time ago. I have just finished reading through the whole thing (had to do something with my "free time" over my Christmas vacation ), and am about to post an intro. Hope to "see" you there. ~Diane
Way to go, mistymama! I was hoping you would keep that flexibility. I am in a similar position, in that I have chosen to work fewer hours so that I can be with DD (also 6) after school. It is precious time, and even though there have been times it has been tough to stick with this choice, I am really happy with it. Here's to no 60 hour weeks! And now you get the big bucks, too! Woohoo! ~Diane
Thanks for the replies, mamas. It is nice to know I am not alone. And thanks for the congrats on the new job. I know I have a lot to be thankful for this year. Just some job stability is more than a lot of people have. And now I can actually say I love my job. : DH and I talked last night some more. He is not seeing any of the positives of having another child. But he admits that he is terrified of this damaging our relationship, and that I might harbor...
Hi mamas. I have been away from MDC for a while, in part because I started a great new job, and it has kept me pretty busy. But I am happier in my professional life than I have been in a very long time. So, weird things are happening to me. Ever since my DD was born, I have known I wanted another child. DH does not - he is very happy with one. We agreed to wait (and wait...), until some other things in our lives settled out before we made a final decision. DD is...
I couldn't read without sending a . Hang in there! I have not been in your shoes exactly (never been a grad student), but I have had some similar experiences as a working mama. One time comes to mind. I am an electrical engineer. I had a very important client with major equipment problems - stuff kept blowing up! I had set up two days of equipment testing at a VERY expensive laboratory, to the tune of $15,000 per day. I was running the testing, so I had to be...
I second checking into short-term disability insurance. If your company has it, childbirth and the post-partum period qualify. At my old employer, which was also a small company of 20 employees, the short-term disability insurance offered 13 weeks of time off with partial pay (60%) AND the company continued to pay your benefits, i.e. health insurance premiums, contributions to 401(k), etc. Combined with the 1 week of time that you had to cover with vacation or sick...
FAN, great to "see" you again! I think we are in the same boat, or at least our boats are floating in the water pretty close to each other. I can't take the indefinite waiting any longer, either. So, my DH and I have decided on a window to make the final decision. Our house will be done and we will be moved in by Jan. 2009. My 37th birthday is in April 2009. We will make a decision sometime in those four months. I am honestly relieved to know that my time will...
Crossing my fingers for you! (where did that smilie go....?) I hope you make the right decision for you and your family. I am at *exactly* the same point right now. One more interview to go, and then I need to decide. It is pretty nerve-wracking. Good luck. If you decline the job, politely and with reasons that pertain to the job description and not the company, I don't see any reason you couldn't apply for something you really want or think is a better fit in the...