or Connect

Posts by quantumleap

I think we're still set on Eamon. I like it, but am not currently *loving* it. I really, really love Pete (well, Peter, but calling his Pete), but my husband is *not* a fan. Bummer. We're thinking Ara/Barbara for a girl. My much loved grandmother, as well as about 18 other people in my family are named Barbara, and Ara is a derivative of the name. I actually don't really like the name Barbara, but love Ara. We can't seem to agree on whether we can just name her Ara, or...
Sounds like you all mostly had good holidays, even if there is mess to deal with. My mom is a machine too. The woman is only ever in Canada to get a joint replaced (she has RA and lives in Africa), but somehow she just go go goes when she's with me. I feel sort of guilty, but then, I also really enjoy the clean walls and constant stream of clean dishes and laundry! She claims to enjoy it. Crazy lady.  GISDiva - tunics, tunics and more tunics! Really. Unless you're...
It's so exciting to have so many more mamas in here! :D Welcome, all. Toubab - my family lives in central Africa (Rwanda), where we are muzungus, but and I went to uni for a year in Dakar (UCAD). As a fairly well traveled young person, West Africa was easily my most challenging experience. How long have you been "home"? How's your partner adjusting (wait, is he a toubab too?)? Hope you're not culture shocking too terribly much. :)
If you trust the source, I would go for primarily the raw cow's milk. I don't believe it actually poses any health concerns at all, and, in fact, presents a lot of benefits. This goes out the window if you haven't any idea where it's coming from or if the cows are pastured or how they are cared for, or how the milk is stored until it gets to you, etc, etc. Maybe the almond milk could be an occasional treat? You could just make a small batch every week or so... I know...
I think some people just don't know what to say, so say the first (sometimes idiotic) thing that comes to mind, hey Carmen? We use a donor, although my partner is male, so many people do not know, and some people chose to ignore (like dh's parents), but we still get some doozies from people who do know. Actually, my own sister asked me if we had been to see our donor, as though she was trying to figure out whether there had been some sort of miraculous conception (my...
We told dh's family on Boxing day, and it went well. His mom already knew, 'cause she snooped in our linen closet when she was here and found the positive test tucked into a little basket (seriously, this will give you a very good impression of the sort of person she is!). His parents were happy, and so was his sister, which was a total shock. Pleasant shock, but a shock none the less. My parents live overseas, and still haven't received their Christmas presents, which...
Oh, here I am! I know there are a few others on here too, who deal with this. My SPD only developed around 28/29 weeks with my first, and it was in full, raging, sobbing in public force by 20 weeks with my second. I am already twingey with this one, at not quite 8 weeks. Honestly, the SPD was my primary (only?!) hesitation in getting pregnant this time around. It is supposed to be more severe and with an earlier onset with each pregnancy. Ugh. I saw a chiro through both...
So, the Canadian Pharmacists Association, in conjunction with the Canadian Medical Association, publish a book called, "Herbs: Everyday Reference for Health Professionals". The page on Red raspberry leaf is super brief. The summary actually says, "has not been extensively investigated scientifically". It has "no known risks", no documented adverse effects and no interactions. It is contraindicated in pregnant women with a history of precipitate labour, based on a single...
I know I'm just a person, but I've used RRL through two other pregnancies in addition to this one and never had a problem. I also have never found evidence that rationally supports the RRL as dangerous theory. Wild Yam is a progesterone supplement. It's used, traditionally, in pregnancies with threatened m/c, or where progesterone levels are suspected/known to be low. Unicorn root is also a "fertility" herb, traditionally used to enhance fertility in order to *get*...
Leigh - that's so cool that you got a heartbeat already! You must be super scrawny or something! I've heard hb at 9 weeks, and was impressed to hear it that early, and you must be only 7weeks?! I guess you could be 8, I can't keep up with when everyone is due. Anyway, so awesome. Glad it was reassuring too. :)   Heather! How did it go telling your husband?! I've been thinking about you. Hope it went better than you expected.    I'm allergic to tree fruit (wait,...