or Connect

Posts by quantumleap

Current question: How do you dress a summer baby?! I live in Atlantic Canada, so it's not 8 million degrees, but it's hot. Hovers around the low 30Cs and the humidity is insane. It cools off at night, but not usually to anything notable. We very occasionally used a very light cotton blanket, My kids were essentially naked all summer. Do I have to give up on the sleepers?! Do you just do a t-shirt and a diaper?! It just seems so wrong not to snuggle them up in something...
I've woken up to the reality that we will not have the luxury of keeping this a secret. I guess not telling was just delaying the inevitable though. I mailed christmas gifts to my parents today, and there's no way they'll get them in time, but I just took a deep breath and signed them from everybody plus "the lentil". Technically the babe is probably a chick pea or something now, and heaven only knows what she's going to be in three weeks from now when they finally get...
...and here's an article from Aviva Romm about treating yeast and bv, and she talks about what's safe in pregnancy (a little further down) http://avivaromm.com/vaginal-infection-remedy
Nah. tto, and most of the common essential oils are totally safe in pregnancy. If you look at a bottle of vit c, it will say "not for use in pregnancy or lactation", which is entirely to cover legal butts. If you took too much c, you would get diarrhea, which *could* stimulate the uterus enough to cause mild contractions. Are you really at risk? Well, no. Same deal for most essential oils. Most. But, the common ones, like tea tree, lavendar, citrus, clove, etc, are all...
I'm amused that everyone is thinking about carseats. It's fun to know there are other people who get preoccupied with these things. DH thinks I'm a little crazy when I talk about it, I think.    The little bed for the crib mattress will likely just be a wooden frame about 1.5' off the ground, with really low rails around the edges. More like a lip, I guess? Just so the kid will have to work to roll off. S/he won't really sleep in it for a few months because we use...
I'm not sure I totally follow your dates, but there's no way in heck you got a positive hpt on 12/11 from conception on 12/5 or even 12/8. Even people who get freakishly early hpts don't get them until 9ish days past ovulation. Your bleeding around 11/31 *could* have been implantation bleeding, but odd that it would have lasted so long. Lots of people bleed during pregnancy though - witness a good number of people on this thread! Will you have follow up testing done to...
Hahaha. Glad I'm not the only one already thinking about this stuff. I have an entire word document with categories like, "Decide", "Acquire", "Birth Plan", etc. I'm making myself wait until 13 weeks to buy the blanket I buy all my kiddos (http://www.organicquiltcompany.com/products/essential-organic-baby-blanket-brights-collection), but I think I've already decided on the green edges. My daughter has pink (I so knew she was a girl!), and my son has purple (apparently I...
KimPekin - do you carry bag, mask and et tubes?  I'm puzzled at this further information. That's great that your midwife carries oxygen, but how is she going to use it to resuscitate without a bag and mask? I mean, blowing it over his face is sometimes all that is needed (that's all my son would have needed), but if you're really in trouble, your midwife without a bag and mask will have to do plain old artificial respiration. While there's nothing wrong with this, it...
Really now?    I guess my opinion is skewed by my exposure to classmates, etc - all midwives here carry oxygen as it is part of the required equipment for registered midwives. Agreed, with a pp, that resuscitation equipment would possibly trump O2, if you had to choose only one. It's a good discussion to have, for sure!
Why doesn't she carry oxygen?! That's sort of nutty. It's a pretty basic thing. There are no legal midwives where I had my son, so the midwife who attended his birth didn't have access to things like O2. He's a ball of perfection, but I will always feel a certain level of guilt that he didn't have access to the O2 that would have made his transition to life so much better (shoulder dystocia, blue/grey baby, took him a good 30 minutes to pink up... all this with a...