or Connect

Posts by quantumleap

Would be neat if this thread started seeing a little more action again... I'm pregnant again (#3) and so far not finding the POP to be any different than before.    I had a chronic cough for the first 17 years of my life. Like, coughing until I threw up. I was eventually diagnosed with asthma, but so incorrectly medicated as to be completely useless until I was 17 and nearly died from an asthma attack. I actually think the years of coughing might have played a role...
The rise doesn't fit much past 9-10 months (but my kids are big), but we love Jamtots hemp fitteds. They have a little pocket that you can stuff an extra doubler in to for overnights. We used Aristocrats overnight over the Jamtots for as long as we could! My favorite fitteds are sugarpeas. I love the kissaluv0s, but find the absorbency is completely crappy in the 1/2/3s. The only problem with sugarpeas is that they wear thin after awhile. I find two kids are the max...
A friend of mine told me that her son's kindy teacher told them that 5 year olds can't reliably focus on a homework task for more than 5-10 minutes. I don't know if that's true, but it does sound pretty logical. If a kid can't be expected to sit and do a work sheet for more than 10 minutes, then why would we try to force a younger than 5 year old to sit at a table and "work" (eat) for 30 minutes? That's my take on it, anyway. If your parents were like mine, you sat at...
Hmmm - more pain with palpation now makes me think there is increasing inflammation... It sucks that ibuprophen is not safe in pregnancy! I really would give the comfrey/arnica poultice a try. Comfrey is pretty cheap, so even comfrey alone, followed by some traumeel or some plain arnica cream. You could also try alternating heat and cold (20 minutes each). Homeopathics are also safe in pregnancy. My knowledge of them for this sort of thing is not awesome, but arnica and...
Brown blood typically means old blood, which is *usually* below the new, red blood on the concern scale. I'm so helpful. :/ Hope you can feel settled and confident enough to enjoy your big family hoopla without worry.    I trucked myself off to the ER a few nights ago. We live pretty rurally, but fairly close to the hospital. It's the hospital that serves the whole region, but there are only 4000 people in my town, so I was hopeful it would be quick. Not so much. I...
What about a poultice/plaster type thing? I'm thinking comfrey and arnica? Aviva Romm maintains that comfrey is safe in pregnancy (only externally). I would be totally comfortable with it. Does wrapping your chest in an ace bandage type thing help, or is the very thought excruciating? You can do tea with oatstraw, red raspberry leaf and nettles, for a little additional nutritional boost too. You can add mint to it if you can't stomach the taste (nettles are pretty...
Hunh. I had wicked morning sickness with dd (my first), and virtually nothing with ds or this one, but I just attributed that to the gender difference. I had no idea about the breastfeeding/m/s link. Interesting! 
My regular clothes still fit, but I've definitely gotten some maternity stuff. We were in a real city two weeks ago (we can't get mat clothes within less than 2 hours of our house), so I bought a 15$ jean skirt. It's very comfortable. I have no shame. I know you're not supposed to break out the mat clothes yet, but I so, so have. Still no idea what to do about Christmas. I have a tunic that hides things pretty well, but only the one, and I think people might get...
I'm guessing July, but it would be funny. Back in the day, when there were heaps of people on here, I remember thinking that, given the numbers, there were bound to be a few "famous" people on here. Actually, I remember "meeting" both Kimya Dawson (singer/songwriter of Juno fame) and Cathe Olsen (of awesome cookbook fame) on here. ;)   The ob/nurses thing is such a potshot, hey? I recently found out a little more about our shared care model here, and feel ever so...
Yeah that. We've had TWO incidences of unemployment for DH, the primary breadwinner, in the past four years. In fact, in the past 3.5 years, he's been unemployed for 1.5 years. If you go from the start of our marriage, he's been unemployed for 3 of 7 years. We're pretty frugal, and used to living on little, but we just can't get ahead. In fact, we've recently nearly maxed out all of our available credit, including the overdraft protection on our chequing account. I am...