or Connect

Posts by quantumleap

Pretty sure that I am arbitrarily weaning my dd. The past few nights have been hellish. I feel really awful about just drawing a line in the sand like this, but I think it might be the best course of action. She used to fall asleep after 5-10 minutes at the breast and that was it for the night. Now, she nurses for 20-30 minutes, at which time I cut her off because her methods for increasing milk flow become unbearable. And then it takes a full hour of screaming, hitting...
Fast births sound, to those who have never had one, to be a dream, for sure! For some women, I'm sure they are, but in my experience, fast labours/births are actually pretty traumatic. I would do my dd's 20 hour labour over ds's 3.5 hour labour ANY DAY. Just imagine packing all the sensations and emotions of a long labour and birth into a VERY short time frame. It's incredibly difficult (impossible?) to process and stay present within the given time frame! It is over...
I really, really hope to be a homebirther this time. We'll see, I guess. DD was a transfer, DS was born at home, and now this one... We've lived in a different province for each one, and there is no legal homebirth here. I have friends (midwives and doulas comfortable with UC) who would come, but even though they're all over the place, the closest one is a three hour drive. My labour with DS was 3.5 hours from first contraction to baby, so I'm guessing they wouldn't make...
Hi HeatherB! Congratulations! It's physically impossible for us to have a surprise pregnancy, so my first gut reaction is one of barely suppressed glee, but it doesn't take much to imagine that sort of shock and then the mental gymnastics required to come around to the reality of it.    FarmerCathy, my dd has been insistent that I will have triplets for the past several months. I'm just going to chalk it up to wishful thinking, because I think I might actually have a...
Ugh, PPD. Here's to hoping none of us will have to deal with it this time around! I didn't have a full-blown experience with it, and I'm still not sure if circumstances contributed to the ppd, or if the ppd made the circumstances seem more intolerable than they actually were, but either way, not something I'd like to experience again! My heart just breaks for the mamas out there who feel like they've lost an entire year of their children's lives.  For you...
We're pretty set on Eamon Daniel _____ LastName for this one if it's a boy. Boys in my husbands family have two middle names, so we need to come up with something else. But, I refuse to name a kid any old name - it has to have meaning. Thinking of Robert, but would rather something a little more crunchy, possibly northern and/or sea related. (ideas?) I'm pretty sure this is a girl though. We have a couple names we like, but so far nothing we're on fire about. Top...
It's a little scary to think of loosing the ground you have gained, weight-wise, hey?  I'm apprehensive about the same things, really, but especially about the weight. I gain a LOT of weight in pregnancy. The first two times, it wasn't *too* bad, because I was slightly underweight to begin with, but it really didn't come off the same way after #2, so I was starting out this pregnancy 20lbs heavier than I did the first time around. And, I also get pretty severe SPD. I'm...
I'm excited to be here too! EDD is Aug 5, but I'm guessing late July. Hoping late July, anyway!  We have two Christmas babies, dd will be 4 and ds will be 2. I, too, am hoping for a smaller baby this time. DD was 9.2 and DS was 9.13. It's not so much the birthing them that I worry about (although I did have a dystocia with DS, which I would NOT like to repeat), but the carrying part. I actually sort of like giving birth, but pregnancy is pretty challenging for me with...
I nursed dd through ds's pregnancy, and it was hellish. She was COMMITTED though. My supply totally tanked at 6 weeks, and definitely turned into "weaning milk", with the higher salt content, because dd was suddenly asking for water after nursing all the time. She's still going too. Like you, MyKids, I would like her to wean, but don't think I'll be able to force it. DS is still nursing too, and he does the perma-suckle thing from 2 or 3am until I have had *enough* and...
Countrybound - you do have a lot going on! Sometimes it feels like babies are just meant to be though, and it you're pregnant, then I think that would be the case! Hooray Starfish! :D I have much admiration for you people who have the self-discipline to hold off on the testing. My heavens.    And, because I like to torture myself, apparently, I've been testing every morning - 8dpo was negative, 9 dpo was negative, and then today is 10 dpo, and it was POSITIVE!!!!...