or Connect

Posts by momfirst

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this...sorry if it's wrong. I'm wondering what you would do, how you would handle this situation. I am very good friends with a couple who provided foster care (they no longer do foster care). I have known them for years (about 20 years). I have always known them to be a nice, caring couple. They have 4 children of their own and have fostered many children over the years. I have always been close to the children as well as the...
Hello! I just moved to the St. Cloud area from the cities. Can anyone tell me about the area? How about special needs groups, like Special Olympics? I'm also looking to volunteer either with special needs children or the homeless population. Can anyone offer ideas of where to look for this? Thanks!
Hello! I've been on/off this board for a few years...but I am totally new to the blended family/step parenting thing. I have a 21 year old DD, and have been divorced forever. I met Honey 2 years ago. He has 2 DS's. One is 20, in college and working FT...so we don't see him as often as we'd like, and the other one is 16 and Honey has him 1/2 time. Honey and I have decided to move in together! We are together all the time and while our children have only really been...
I loved reading through this thread...then I realized that a lot of it was posted a very long time ago. Can anyone give updates? I don't post very often...but I came back here looking for advice or support...or someone to say I'm not crazy! I've been divorced for 16 years (I was married for 8). I've dated a bit over the years, but mostly my focus was raising my dd. Well, my dd is now 20...and I felt it was time for me! I recently met a wonderful guy (after a whole...
I fostered to adopt my dd. I fully intended to change her name, I'd been making my name list for many years! *I* wanted to name my child. When I discussed this with the social worker, she explained that really all that my dd had was her name. She strongly suggested that I not change it. That was all years ago. I look at *my* girly and try and picture her with one of the names *I* would have chosen...it's not her. She is the name she came with, it fits her. Even though...
I think I was kind of the opposite. When I got divorced, I actually *found* myself again and was happy to go back to being *me*. I found that I didn't really know who I had become during our marriage, and I was glad to find myself, although sad that our marriage had to end for me to find...well, me! Now my dd is turning 19, and I'm finding it a little harder to find myself because so much of who I am has been wrapped up in being her momma. It's a slow process, but...
I always said NEVER! Now my dd is grown and I've been on my own for about 17 years...so now I say...maybe. I don't mind being alone, in fact there are many things I love about my life, but with my dd moving out within a few years, I do think it might be nice to have someone to share my life with...but I'm not holding my breath!
I totally hear you...but also remember that 'taking a break' doesn't always have to mean 'going away'. There have been plenty of times when I put my dd to bed a little early...then I watch a movie (that is not PG, or animated) and have a little treat that I hid away just for me. Or I relax in a nice hot bath. Do something little to indulge yourself, and NOT feel guilty about it.
I've been divorced for 15 years. Most of those years my ex and I had a good/friendly relationship and spent a lot of time with each other. Then about 4 years ago my ex and our dd had a disagreement and they haven't talked/seen each other much since then. At that time, I also stopped talking with my ex as he seemed to have no desire to work out his issues with dd...and I came to accept that he's really a jerk! Last week ex calls me (I've seen/talked to him about 6 times...
I've recieved something similar, but it wasn't meant for us. It was just a form that was generated when a child fell below X mark at school. I felt that it was a total waste of time to mail this out...my dd was in special ed and was already recieving services for the issues that were mentioned in the mailing that came out. I called the number and talked to someone and I talked to my dd's teacher. Like I said, the mailing wasn't meant for me, it just went out to the...