or Connect

Posts by momfirst

This can happen with just bio kids too. When dad passed away my brother (who is 12 years older) said it was harder on him to lose dad because he knew him longer!: I was 28, bro was 40... So I just told him, he may have known him longer...but dad loved me best!
My dd has FAS and can be decribed about the same as azedazobollis child. Another thing is that my dd really has a hard time with cause and effect...as a young child she would only turn on the hot water to wash her hands...and then leave her hands in the water as she was screaming (she wouldn't know on her own to pull her hands out of the water). She also broke many things because she really had no clue that what she was doing would result in breaking something (pulling...
Quote: Originally Posted by PikkuMyy momfirst - thank you so much for coming here to ask for help, and for believing your daughter anyway, and for getting her into counseling. I'm a special education teacher, so one of the first thoughts that comes to mind is what her transition plan is like - assuming that she's had an IEP and been in special ed. Has she graduated from high school yet or will she be in for a few more years? Does she have an...
I've only skimmed most of the replies...but I wanted to share that my dd acted the exact same way when she would come home from her dad's house. To the point that others were stating that they were concerned (dd would mention things over and over to her Sunday school teacher). I didn't think that anything 'bad' was going on at dad's house but I did think that it was difficult for dd over there...at home she's an only child, at dad's she's a middle child. Anyway, one time...
I have worked with children (in child care) for many, many, many years and I have always HATED when someone suggested that I was raising my clients children! I have always worked closely with the parents to make sure that we are doing our best to keep things similar (for the ease and comfort of the children) and I have always been asked my opinion on various child rearing issues...but in the end, the parents have the final say and the most influence on the child. I assist...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom could it be that she was ussing the cutting to get attention.....then "the rape"? I think the cutting was because she had sex and felt guilty (not sure if that's the right word) just meaning that she got into a situation that she wasn't comfortable with. Once she told about the 'rape' she stopped cutting. Now that she's fessed up about lying about the rape, a lot of other behaviors have stopped as well....
I took my husbands name when I married him. Our DD has his name as well. When we divorced I wanted mine and dd's name to be the same and ex wouldn't give permission to change dd's name. I always thought when dd got older, I would change my name back to my maiden name...but truth is, my married name has been my name for 23 years! It would be a pain in the butt to change it now! My mortgage, car, insurances, IRA's, everything is in my current name. A few years ago when...
DD also stated that she thought she would get in trouble by having sex with her then boyfriend because she was 18 and he was 17. So, I think she thought by placing the blame on him...she wouldn't get in trouble (strange how her mine can work). Anyway, I am thankful that she has started therapy.
My dd was 26 months old when she came to live with me. She had been in foster care before that (she's US born, not international). We bonded right away and have had no major issues. She has special needs so I won't answer the developmental issues part...although she blossomed in the first couple of months of being with me rather than the foster home. I also don't have other children so I can't answer the questions about siblings. In the long run, my answer would be...
I also wanted to thank those of you who shared your stories. I know it must be hard for you to relive some of those times, so I appreciate your willingness to open up and share.