or Connect

Posts by karina5

LOL, I see Theoretica wondering the same thing! :-)
Quote: Originally Posted by felix23 RiverScout, I think that your experience with CL is about the same as mine. The people I know who practice CL do not make their child do anything that they don't want to. They would never force their child to ride in a carseat, they would just not go places. If this means missing, weddings, funerals, appointmens, then they miss them. My cousin who practices CL used to live with her parents. When she bought a house,...
Huge U2 fan here, and no, I wouldn't do it. The crowds in and of themself can get overwhelming. Concerts are very sensory intense, too. I promise you that the kids will be fine w/ the nanny for an evening. Many of my best childhood memories are from having fun babysitters. You can let them have something they don't normally get (like ice cream and a video...) and treat it like a special event for them, too. Go enjoy yourself having a kid-free night.
Quote: Originally Posted by mommylovesra That is exactly what it is about. If you go back and watch Natalie Morales stops herself short from actually saying "formula is just as good". I don't judge women who through lack of support or circumstances beyond their control have to use formula but I do judge doctors who say things on national TV like "formula is wonderful". It sends the wrong message and makes it seem like breastfeeding is not worth the extra...
Quote: Originally Posted by mrsfrenchy i also felt like their points about nursing at the table with business men were totally irrelevant. if you are a WOH is highly unlikely that you'll be BFing your LO on your lunch break--and if you are, its not going to be at a business lunch. Just as you likely won't take your 6 month old to work everyday, you're not going to be feeding them at business meetings either--and if you are, that's quite a...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommylovesra I saw this and the doctor gushing that formula is wonderful sends the wrong message. Formula is a necessary substitute sometimes but it is hardly "wonderful" I don't think the parents from China who bought contaminated formula would say it was wonderful. I also don't like how they never bother to mention the medical benefits for mom. They just say that it is a good bonding experience. It seems a doctor would want...
I know that my Brother and SIL were able to get their kids excused for a trip to see family in Thailand and the school worked with them very nicely. I am of the mindset that rules are made to be bent when there is a good reason and so it surely doesn't hurt to have conversations w/ the school and see if they will work with you.
My parents still helped me out when I was 19, and even into my early 20's, so I'm not all about "cut him off/chop!/immediately!" mindset. Many of my friends had some help, too Yet my parents had expectations from me. In this situation, he isn't contributing AT ALL so I can see where people would be alarmed by that.
Bedhead, thanks for the update and I'm glad everyone's posts are good food for thought for you. One thing you said stands out - Quote: He wants to travel, he wants to own a business selling and repairing martial arts equipment, he's very interested in woodworking. Here are my thougts on that...sometimes people have things they want to do and it's just very overwhelming. Take just the first one. "Travel." Well that is a huge, very generalized...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathymuggle Hi karina5, I have deliberately avoided answering the question of "how long should a parent be Ok with coasting?" - as I genuinely do not know! I know I would be Ok with over a year -but I get that everyone has their own limits. I think there would be would be multi-factors that come into play. Is this person having difficulty transitioning from adolescents to adulthood - and in need of support and help...