or Connect

Posts by atpeace

Oh, there's also a babywearing group around here that I discovered at Busy Bees (the indoor playground on King Street close to Fairview Park mall).  They have a facebook page (KW Babywearing, I believe?).     In terms of things to do around here, we spend lots of time at local libraries, Ontario Early Years Centres (two great ones in KW, plus satellites), local parks in the summer (Victoria Park is a favourite for the giant twisty slide), and of course LLL meetings...
Another question:   1. There seem to be many foods on the "forbidden" list for babies and kids (i.e. dairy before age 1, wheat before age 1, etc).  How does one reconcile this with BLW when we offer bits of regular adult food that everyone else at the table is eating?  As an aside, I've noticed that infant rice cereal (which we avoided with DD and plant to avoid this time around as well) contains "milk solids", and am confused.  
Thanks for clearing up some of my misconceptions (or ignorance!).  Regarding the gagging issue, when I do eventually offer him some food, he'll probably gag the first few times (right?), so do I need to do anything about it?  Or just let him naturally figure it out for himself, and learn how to use his tongue and whatnot?     Also, the past few days, I've noticed he's extra hungry and my milk supply seems to not be as plentiful.  He's always breast fed on demand, day...
Thanks everyone.  Great suggestions.  It turns out that my city allows pet waste in our compost collection service, so from now on, I'm composting the cat poop!      A few more questions:   1.  Anyone know where I can get reusable bread storage bags (we bake all of our own bread, and have been using giant Ziplock bags to store it in, which we reuse, but I'd like something more durable/reusable)?     2.  Has anyone made/sewn these items themselves and can...
Wow, thanks Tigerchild!  Awesome suggestions, and I am very impressed how your kids are so generous and self-sacrificing.  You do have a lot to be proud of!  Good job.    I was actually thinking of starting in the new year instead of now, since we need a new activity for the winter months and I think volunteering would be great.  I see what you mean about the holidays not being the best time to undertake this.  From all your suggestions, my favourite one is to...
  Anyone have any ideas about how to get a 4-year-old involved in some sort of community volunteer work?  I'm looking for something age-appropriate and meaningful, but that doesn't take a huge time commitment.  What have some of you done with your kids?  My goals are: spending time with her, broadening her perspective (i.e. especially around the holidays when I want to communicate that "stuff" doesn't make us happy, helping other people can!), and engaging in a...
I need some suggestions for the following ways to make my home less toxic, more eco-friendly, etc.   1. Dishwasher detergent - we use a very mainstream, conventional tab detergent that is probably filled with chemicals.  What can we use instead?   2. Scooping cat litter - what can we use instead of plastic bags?  (at least we reuse old baggies and produce sacs, but still, I'd like to get away from plastic bags altogether).   3. Cling foil ("saran wrap" or...
We're starting to think about solid foods more now that DS is approaching "the second half of the first year".  With DD, we did the standard spoon-feeding of purees just after she turned six months (she wasn't interested in much until close to a year, so it was a struggle and a huge hassle I'd like to avoid this time around, now that I know a bit more about this whole issue).  UGH.  Thinking back to the stress of "oh no, she hasn't eaten much 'real food' today!  I hope...
Can someone please list some good EC books and do a quick/simple rating of them?  I'm interested in why you liked/disliked them, and which one you find "the best".  (I've found a few at my library, but don't know which are better than others).   Thanks!
Mombeck, I don't have any advice for you, but I'm following your footsteps!   DS is turning six months old in about a week, and I just decided to try ECing too!  I've been reading the boards and have ordered some books at the library, and your eager post has made me super-excited to start trying this tomorrow!  Thanks!