or Connect

Posts by amydep

I don't see anything in his chapter on HIB about serotype replacement. Hmmm... I may be missing something though. One thing I also want to mention that I found interesting is that he admits in his book (Preface section) that doctors learn a lot in medical school about diseases, but not a lot about vaccines. They learn that the FDA and pharma companies do extensive research to make sure that the vaccines are safe and effective, but they don't do the research...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay Did he mention anything about serotype replacement happening with Hib? Did he quote the Hib prevaccine figures? If so, what were they? "Before the vaccine came into use in the mid-1980s, there were about 20,000 cases of serious HIB infections each year in the United States. Now we only have about 25 cases each year, almost all occuring in children under age five and most in the first two years." Still...
Quote: Originally Posted by quarteralien I hate to jump into this conversation, but this stood out to me. If this is truly how he words it, then yes, he is biased toward vaxing. A non-biased viewpoint would be worded more equally such as: "Reasons to get this vaccine" and Reasons not to get this vaccine" or "Reasons some choose this vaccine" and "Reasons some do not choose this vaccine." Does that make sense? By stating it the way it is, he is clearly...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay Recommending any kind of alternative vax schedule would be a lot of pressure, I think. If you have thousands of babies being vaxed according to your schedule, and you don't recommend a certain vax, thats a lot of responsibility. Of course, he could have just written the book and not recommended a schedule at all. He does have a "Selective Vaccination Schedule" listed as well, which completely leaves out...
Quote: Originally Posted by Plummeting Like others have already said, I am way past the point of needing to read another book like this. Especially when the author so clearly has some of his facts confused. Anyone who would say the diphtheria vaccine would prevent your child from bringing diphtheria into the US (which is exactly what he DID say at the LLL conference) doesn't know enough about vaccines to be writing a book about them. If I know more...
I'm no expert, but my son had 3 days of a high fever (103 range) this summer. I couldn't figure out what was going on and began reading a few things online about fever only. I found info on Roseola and, sure enough, after 3 days of a fever DS broke out in the Roseola rash. DS had no other symptoms except the fever, but was acting tired due to the high fever. I don't know if this is what is going on with your DD, but just wanted to give you this info.
Quote: Originally Posted by nataliachick7 Personally, i think if he was being unbiased he wouldnt have included his personal little vaccine schedule in there. how does that appeal to people who dont vax? LOL His schedule is not MEANT to appeal to people who don't vax. If you have made the decision to NOT vax, then you don't need a schedule at all, do you? He is presenting a schedule for parents who WANT to vax, but do not want to follow the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Plummeting Why WOULDN'T you keep learning about something? Personally, I would. But it seems to me there were a couple of people who did say that because he wasn't anti-vaccine that they were NOT interested in reading his book. From what I have seen so far, the people that are totally pro-vaccine are not interested in hearing what the anti-vaccine people have to say and vice versa. His book is the first that I...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay I guess I just don't see the point in vaxing for one thing when you know it's just going to be immediately replaced by something else as a result of vaxing for the first. Does he explain why he thinks it's still a good idea? Basically, he says that because you will encounter the Pc germ if you go outside of the home, then by getting the vaccine (to use his words) is a "get out of jail free" card. I see...
Quote: Originally Posted by nataliachick7 And recommending the MMR at 12 months is nutty.... Please read my above post. In his book he does NOT recommend the MMR at 12 months. He recommends splitting the shot up as I wrote above (mumps vax 12 mo, rubella 2 years, and measles 3 years).