or Connect

Posts by mata

I think doriodin is talking about McKinley Elementary in Redlands. :)
I moved from NYC to SoCal about 12 years ago. Last year I allowed myself to say I don't like many things here, and have decided to treat it like a vacation home we "winter" in for the whole year. ;) I would love to live in your area-want to trade?
It looks like we visit here about as often. ;)  I was a teacher years ago back in NYC, but don't have time any longer! There are so many studios popping up around Redlands, I'm sure you'll have a lot of opportunities. Hope school is going well. :)
I was around pre-crash, but haven't been around regularly for many years. Our daughters are now in the 8th and 5th grades, and I homeschool them. I'm almost 50, and have been feeling serious baby fever lately, though!
We've lived in Redlands for a little over 10 years, and it's changed a lot since then (and not always for the better, imo!) Since the housing crash I don't think many more developments have been started-East Highland is pretty developed, with more being built out on Greenspot, etc. Calimesa hasn't changed much since we've been here. Lots of empty commercial real estate and stalled development projects abound-for example, a few years ago we heard Krikorian would renovate...
What age/s is/are your children?
I'm pretty sure the fact that I don't need to be the center of attention quite often makes me appear boring. I am ok with that! If someone bothers to take the time to really get to know me, I know it's for the right reasons.
Making something compulsory sort of goes against what is beneficial about Minecraft to begin with.
As a parent who started homeschooling at grades 3 and 6, I agree with others who have said "your feelings will not get better over time." I can also relate to the observation that I started homeschooling because our hand was forced-there was simply no other option and it was clear that things would only get worse as the grades got higher. I wish I had followed my instincts and started with kindergarten! We had to go through a year of "deschooling" and it was clear to me...
I have a 13 year old doing K12. It's a rigorous program, with a *lot* of work-i.e. weekly writing/research assignments, powerpoints, experiments, reading, etc. I would say your sister would need to be very self-motivated and disciplined, otherwise it might not work for her.