or Connect

Posts by mata

What are the basic things that I must have for any dog the first day they arrive? She will arrive with nothing. What type of collar do I need? I'd recommed having a shortish leash, and as far as a collar goes, the dog's size and degree of obedience would determine the best "for now" collar you might need. A large dog with little obedience might be hard to restrain with a plain collar-you might want a pinch or choke collar. If it's a medium sized dog or smaller a...
I have a problem letting my oldest dd (9) listen to grunge-which is tragic because it's some of my most favorite music ever, and she loves to play Pearl Jam and Nirvana on guitar (she rocks out on Smells like Teen Spirit!) Although she's primarily interested in this genre of music because she plays guitar, she has shown a lot of curiosity about the lyrics too. She's interested in Kurt Cobain, curious about his death, etc. etc. Since she has a considerable amount of angst...
We do have electronics, but we have decidedly more fun with boardgames, puzzles, etc. Our Wii collects dust-I can't remember the last time it was used. Both dds have Nintendo ds's, but they rarely play with them now. They love doing sudoko books, drawing, playing pool, ping pong-and I'm glad! The Wii was fun when we first got it-I feel no need to get any add ons though. Wii fit, for example, holds zero appeal to me. We'd need it in order to do any of the games that would...
I had a lot of looks/phases. I was a freshman/sophomore in the late 70s-so was disco inspired (eek)-i.e.-at night I'd wear skintight satin pants, a danskin and Candies. Junior and senior year went into the 80s-I wore a lot of jumpsuits, Fiorucci, Calvins, mini skirts-you know the typical stuff. I aspired to look like one of the GoGos.
I also couldn't imagine asking someone to have a shower for me-to me that's only done by families and close friends. She'll survive without one if you decide not to take it on-don't let her guilt you! It may alienate her, but that might be good for you in the long run. She sounds like a handfull. Also remember that if you do have one for her, that may elevate the relationship in her eyes, and you might be hearing/seeing more from her.
I have a loser stranger story. I had taken my dds bowling, and we were there, minding our own, when some guy came up to me and started hitting on me. In front of my kids-ugh! I wasn't rude, but was definitely not engaging with him, and each time he'd attempt to converse with me I'd just smile in a polite but non engaging way and turn my back on him, clearly giving off the vibe that he could go at any time. I had just reached the point where I was about to ask him to leave,...
I have a 9 year old, and wouldn't let her read the book or see the movie. She hasn't asked, though.
We'd highly recommend Snow Valley, near Running Springs. Both of my daughters learned to snowboard there, and it's wonderful (as long as you aren't expecting powder, or even a Big Bear type experience.) Very family-friendly, laid back, rarely crowded to the point where it's not fun, and it has snowplay with a lift (operates on the weekend-cheaper during the week without it.) There's also a tubing park right near it. We spent the day there yesterday and had the best...
I just wanted to mention-wasn't Jenifer Lewis/Mama Odie fantastic? Best part of the movie, imo.
I loves it! 75 and sunny here.