or Connect

Posts by cosmos

My kids school has lunch offered 2 days a week...all organic and natural whole foods. They compost, recycle and limit from-home food choices. Plus some food is grown for lunches in an on-site greenhouse. One hurdle is that it is almost 100% parent volunteer run. The school is very supportive and appreciative, but it is a lot of work! Thankfully there are dedicated parents!
My oldest DD almost always played alone (or with her sister) until about age 6. I worried for a while about her, then realized she had her own inner world going on and when kids were playing games, she was-and still is- gathering and making the necessary items for whatever they are doing, not much interacting or actually playing. This has emerged as totally her personality which I am appreciating now very much at her age (9 1/2) because many of her peers "need" to run in a...
My DS is in a preschool program in a very remote area, in fact it was the only preschool within 60 miles up until a few years ago. The teacher was strong with gender stereotyping and a few parents asked her to tone it down a bit, along with the daily candy treats and rewards. She responded very well to these suggestions over time, and had probably not even realized what she was doing. The kids love her, the parents trust her, and it is a fabulous place to send my son...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move an old friend of mine is very tight for money and all her kids clothes are second hand (and always have been). But her kids always look neat and put together. Their clothes fit well and are clean. I'm sure it takes her far more time to accomplish this than it would if she could just it the mall, but it can be done. She says the key is frequent shopping. She doesn't assume she'll find anything every time,...
Quote: Originally Posted by The Hidden Life Now I'll have to figure out what to do with my 3yo all day alone! He won't be going to preschool--still working on independent toilet skills and the preschool here is pretty strict on that--maybe I'll join MOPS again or go back to doing playdates like I did with my first child. He is going to be SO upset when he sees his sisters leaving without him in the mornings! My Ds was 3 when his sisters both...
I have a dairy-free version of WW bread: Mix 1 1/2 TBSP yeast and 2 C. warm water in a large bowl. Add 2 C. whole wheat flour Let rise until double then add 1/4 C. oil ( I use olive) 1/3 C. honey or molasses 1 tsp salt and 3-4 C. more flour I usually start out the mixing with the first 3 ingredients in the bowl and some flour, and as it gets harder I go to the bread board. Just keep adding flour until the dough is right. Let rise in a well oiled bowl...
I thought this was a fake post at first. I live in a very small district too and I have never heard of a fee like this.
We hs'd for 2 years-then chose the crunchy ps over traditional ps for our kids when hs no longer worked. There are no private schools here. There is animosity between some of the parents of the traditional ps and ours, but I politely avoid those conversations because it is pointless IMO. Both schools are great, hs was great. we are chosing what works best for our family and I feel way ahead of the game about being openminded to make the best fit when things change, and the...
I just came back from visiting family and thinking how pages from a coloring book completely changes the activity. I have only provided blank paper for my kids at home and here a family member gave my poor son a coloring book. He was sitting with the predrawn coloring page having a 20 minute hysterical fit because he couldn't keep the marks in the lines, though he will sit for an hour with blank paper and not make a peep. It is very striking to me how such a seemingly...
Quote: Originally Posted by That Is Nice As much as I think GD is the way to go, I also think I need to help my child learn coping skills and self-soothing skills.... Not sure if you intended to imply GD doesn't help kids learn coping skills...? I agree about helping them learn to cope, but the OP indicated they talk with him about how he is feeling. I think that is a huge part of learning to cope. Then when he is in situations away from...