or Connect

Posts by mamabadger

My daughter had her first baby girl at home, attended by DSIL, me, and two midwives. Everything went very smoothly.    For her second baby, she planned for another home birth with the same midwifery practice. Everything was fine, and at 41+ weeks, she began having some crampy sensations on Saturday afternoon. I kept my cell phone at hand constantly. Because I would be in church from midnight (it was Pascha, our main feast day), DD said she would call by 11:30 if...
I agree totally. Applied to most areas of life, this attitude would be considered almost delusional. A positive outlook is helpful, but it is not magic.   I think the "trust birth" thing is a very positive development to the extent that it applies to getting past the unrealistic fear and dread of the birth process which has developed in this part of the world. Learning that childbirth is normal and natural, and that routine interference is a problem in itself, is...
This is one problem with every discussion on the subject. In the broadest sense, it is always fornication which is the sin where any sexual act is forbidden. Neither Scripture nor Christian tradition contain the concept that "gayness" or homosexuality (as a character trait) is a sin. At most, it is a characteristic which might make it more of a burden for a person to remain chaste.     Christians in some denominations may disagree, but I see absolutely no basis for that....
For what it's worth, I think the reference to the Church as mother dates from St. Cyprian of Carthage (3rd century bishop) and his statement "who does not have the Church as his Mother, does not have God as his Father." I thought the metaphor fit in well with that of the Church as Christ's Bride, which does occur in Scripture.
My feeling is that music for a birth should be the music the mother normally enjoys and which has good associations for her, rather than some special, unfamiliar "birth music." There is music sold specifically to provide a calming effect during labour, and if that is the kind of music you normally like, fine. But I think it is more important for a labouring woman to feel like her regular self, and that includes a familiar musical atmosphere. As long as your favourite...
44 weeks and 43 weeks, and no cord issues or other problems with either. 
Every time I say to myself, "that's the lamest excuse for a C-section I've ever heard," something new comes along to top it.   I've never heard of that, but if there's any basis for concern, I have to wonder if it would be related to extreme purple pushing.
Orthodox Christian. We've got a copy of about a dozen different translations, which we use, if nothing else, to compare translations sometimes. We even keep copies of a couple that are more paraphrase than translation, just to be aware what other people are reading. I like the English translation from the Greek Septuagint for the OT, and either KJV or NIV for ordinary reading of the NT. KJV is useful because I can use a concordance on it. I plan to get an Orthodox...
When DH and I first became Orthodox, we were instructed by our priest to refrain from "heavy" oils, which means mainly olive oil, on non-oil fast days. Since then we have encountered people who avoid all oil, margarine, salad dressing, etc. on non-oil days, and a lot of others who keep the olive oil rule. We follow the rule we were given at baptism, and there seems to be no disagreement between factions. It is a minor difference in practice.      I've heard this before. A...
There may be far less difference between the two today than there once was. I think the thing is, a great deal of the whole concept of Christian charitable acts, which originated as part of Christian belief, have by now been absorbed into the general culture.    Every religion and culture has some kind of practice of almsgiving or assistance to the poor, but Christianity had its own particular approach to charity, arising out of Christian teachings and concepts....