or Connect

Posts by MamaLeah

How beautiful! Thanks for every word of it.
And she said that she thought it was wonderful, that if it is something I wanted to do, I'd always regret not going for it, and that she would do anything she could to support my decision. First, I almost fell off my chair. Then I started crying. She's amazing. I knew she might be open to the idea. She believes that drug-free births are what we should hope for, and she herself was born at home. But I was still nervous about telling her. My dad on the other...
Thank you awesome mamas! You have given me good information and good stories. I still haven't met face-to-face with a midwife (talked to one for a long time on the phone), because I felt like I needed to gather my thoughts and more information, but I think I'm ready for a first visit. I can't thank you all enough for sharing. Writing and listening have helped me so much.
I have been doing a lot of reading, talking and thinking about birthing #2 at home, but there is one big fear I can't let go of. I think this is a long-time peril of childbirth, so I doubt I'm alone. Prolapsed chord - I know it is rare, even rarer at home. I know that there are ways for a midwife to deal with it while being transported to the hospital. But, we are about 20 minutes from the hospital and that seems like a long and scary ride. I think most...
Thanks all for your responses. It is obviously such an intensely personal issue. It's amazing what a strong impact your first exposure to sexuality can have on you for the rest of your life. My first exposure was The Joy of Sex, at a pretty young age, and I was intrigued, but in a very positve way (except the part about big toes, yuck! )) I always knew (don't know how) that my parents had a physical relationship separate from me. They kissed and hugged and cuddled a...
My daughter is about to turn two and I'm starting to wonder how I feel about her seeing certain things - sexual or adult things that I personally have no problem with. For example: A book of erotic photography. "Sex education" books for adults (lots of pictures of loving couples loving each other). A couple of books of erotic fiction (I know that doesn't matter now, but when she's older?). Music with profanity. (It's not violent, but in some of the stuff we have...
Wow, thank you for your beautiful responses. I know that what you are saying is true - I need to do more research and soul-searching. I think I want someone I trust - my husband, my mother, a good friend - to just say to me, "Yes, you can do it. Believe in yourself." But you know, *I* need to be the one to say that. That is what it comes down to. Thank you Zoie. Your story IS beautiful. And though for different reasons, your first birth reminds me of mine. I...
I am pregnant with my second child, and wanting a different birthing experience than I had with my first child. I got dehydrated, had a long labor (36 hours), and it was back labor, spent a lot of that time sedentary and alone, and had an epidural after about 30 hours. Luckily, pushing was quick (20 minutes), but because of a falling heart rate, the doctors did use suction and performed an episiotomy. All this, and I was very healthy both physically and emotionally. I...
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful posts. I have enjoyed reading all of them. I still am not settled on the issue, but hearing from all of you helps me think. And I'm so excited to hear from other librarians! My mom was a SAHM and I feel I know firsthand the benefits of having a parent waiting for you at home when you get out of school. The warm cookies, the quiet conversation, the knowledge that I was accountable for my whereabouts and activities. ...
I'd like to add one more story to all the great responses you've gotten... My dd is now 23 months, but at 15 months I tried to leave her at the YMCA nursersy. Total disaster. We tried leaving her with my parents, whom she knew pretty well. Total disaster. We decided that she wasn't ready to be left alone and stopped trying. About three months ago, totally on her own, with no coaxing from us, she has decided it is OK to stay with other people. We had a friend...