or Connect

Posts by MamaLeah

Thank you all so far for your thouthts. I agree with what you all are saying, and yet, I don't feel settled on the issue. I agree with Sleepies that it is rather rude. I think I might have a rude family. Is Motherhood a season? I mean, it's going to change and lessen in intensity, but it is not going to end. And when I started out, I thought I'd stay home till the kids were all in school. Now, I'm thinking about needing to be available through grade...
How do you feel when well-intentioned friends or relatives say something to the effect of, "It's wonderful that you are staying home with your children, but you are such a smart woman and so talented and you were on such a great career path, that it is too bad that you can't do something with all your talent and education.?" My knee-jerk reaction is of course to kick them in the knees, but then I must admit a little longing slips in. I feel lucky in that I found a...
Sometimes I wonder if I am the only mom in the U.S. who worries her child doesn't have enough toys. We just don't buy them and though we have two sets of doting grandparents, being 3000 miles away limits the number of gifts we receive (At least from a bulk point of view - shipping just isn't practical.) She has one laundry basket of toys and one shelf of books. She plays with the same few things over and over, gets stuck on one or two books at at time anyway, and...
Yes, I too felt moved to...guilt. I told my husband after I read it that I think we should eat more simply so that we can eat only locally grown, organically grown food. I mean, I don't buy meat, not because I think it is wrong to kill an individual animal for food, but because I can not stand the thought of my money supporting an industry that wreaks such suffering on huge populations of innocent animals, such devastation on the geography of entire areas, and has...
My 20 month old nurse 3-5 times a day. I don't turn her down, because, obviously, she doesn't ask to nurse very often. Morning, naptime, bedtime, and sometimes an extra afternoon one just cause it feels good. And when she wants to, it usually seems like she really needs to.
Oh - and under the poll, you can click on View Results. That way you can see the results without voting. Also, you should be able to vote for as many as apply, if you have more than one "weanee."
Hey MamaMAMAma, just wanted to say that I think it is too cool that your toddler nurses at Gymboree if she wants. What a great mama!
I took my daughter when she was about a year for a free class, and it wasn't much of a success, because of both the teachers and the other parents. I'm not used to seeing parents force their children to do things because it's "good for them," but that seemed to be the pervading spirit. One poor screaming toddler was physically forced to walk through some stupid obstacle course, and no one else seemed to be bothered. I'm sure this is HIGHLY unusual, and of course think...
I was just wondering, for those of you with children old enough to have self-weaned, at what age that happened. I don't know many people whose children self-weaned, but from what I know, I understand it is wildly different from child to child. Just thought it would be fun to see what experiences are out there.
I love magazines too. We have let lots go to save money, but I can't give them all up. We get: Utne The Sun - I was so glad to see it on people's lists. I've wanted to recommend it here before. I really think that that magazine contributes to my life and is worthwhile to support (no ads). Nat'l Geographic American Libraries Big Brother Skateboarding (dh's) Oxford American Poets and Writers Vegetarian Times I wish we could get more!