or Connect

Posts by kristenburgess

I have always really appreciated the Chux for under me and babe the first few days.  I'm also a fan of the mesh underwear and the peri-bottle.  I like the high-quality bulb syringe - not for right after birth but in the months that follow.  The ones that come in the birth kit work... the ones from the drug stores don't.    Also, bendy straws are wonderful :)   I used mamacloth after my last baby and won't go back to OB pads.  Really I don't use much else, though...
I have also felt them as pretty "localized" depending on where baby's position is.  Even now (38 weeks) with them pretty strong I feel more pressure where baby's bum and knees are at.   In my first pregnancy I thought that all my braxton-hicks were baby movement.  I kept telling my midwife I wasn't having any :p  Finally she noticed my belly get hard at an appt. and told me "that's a Braxton-hicks" and I said "oh, I have those every day"  LOL.  I thought they were...
Two of my babies weren't in water and three of them have been water births :)  I am planning another water birth -- to me it is really the way to go.  Having a nice birth tub makes a difference over thinking of something just like a bathtub.  My third was in a "fishie" kiddie pool and my fourth and fifth were in an Aquadoula, and all were such lovely births. I feel like my babies were calmer and more peaceful after the waterbirths and I know I felt a lot less sore. ...
My midwife said generally a good show (lots of mucus tinged with blood) was a sign of things starting within 48 hours but not always.  That has been true for me with my babies that I had a show pre-birthing time, but I've also had several babies where I didn't see any show until I was well into my birthing time :)
If you give them a LMP date they tend to calculate due date based on the assumption that you ovulated on day 14 of your cycle and have 28 day cycles :)  My cycles never are, so I always tell my midwife my LMP and I also tell her ovulation date if I know it.  I prefer to use a formula calculating based on ovulation date, that has been more accurate for me.   I know I ovulated on day 18 this cycle which is later than day 14 and I didn't want to hear anything about...
Congrats on number 3 :D  My third baby was such a sweet little guy, so very special!   We don't do the NT scan, but I have always felt nervous up until 12 weeks and have greatly preferred to wait for that point before telling everyone!  DH doesn't like the wait so it's tough, but it gives me peace of mind :)
Good thread!  I typically hate all maternity pants, except comfy ones around the house :p  So no good recommendations for you there.   I will say that I wear skirts all year round - even in the snow (and we get a lot in northern MI).  I just wear the skirt with a pair of cozy capris underneath.  I have some larger ones that are still fitting my belly right now, but I might have to find some maternity capris by the end of winter.  The ones I have are made of light,...
I have older kids with assigned chores to help me with things now.  I have to follow up with them, but things get done.   To help keep things manageble with the littles, we play in the main room.  We have two small bins of "always out" baby/toddler toys.  The other toys are kept neatly in bins in their bedrooms.  One bin = one toy, for instance, a toy train bin, a wooden animals bin, etc.  One of these bins comes out at a time.  Then it gets put away :)  These toys...
I haven't done a lot of knitting... if I had, I'd be making some adorable newborn longies!!!   I haven't started anything for the baby yet - right now I'm converting a few second-hand skirts to maternity.   I will be doing some sewing for this LO.  I've picked the Fishsticks Designs layette for this babe... have a pair of snap pliers coming so I can do the sleepers, but I'm really looking forward to the lap tees.  A friend did these for her baby and they are...
I'm so excited gals in our DDC are hitting the halfway mark.  I keep doing a double-take looking at my pregnancy updates.  Can't believe I'm almost 18 weeks myself.  It seems to be flying by :D  Hope the second half goes beautifully for everyone =D