or Connect

Posts by Jennifer Z

Either a written curriculum or computer program. Something that relies heavily on visual supports/symbols would be especially useful. We are looking at starting to build a foundation for computer programming in the upcoming year or so, and dh said that formal logic was extremely helpful for him (at the college level), but I don't know if there is any kid-friendly formal logic stuff out there.
Thank you all for your ideas. It helps. Sometimes it is frustrating to come up with new approaches, so this helps me get unstuck.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J I don't actually think of 8 as older - I think of it as a time when those things begin to be picked up little by little, naturally - but you can find a lot of fun math sites linked to from my math page - look underneath the box that lists articles. Although, come to think of it, you'll find lots of ideas among the articles as well. I'd suggest scrolling through before beginning to click on things - that could save you...
Any good games (computer, video or board/card) or other activities, other than worksheets (he HATES the math problem worksheets I started trying) to help get the math facts memorized? He clearly understands the theory behind it very well, but not having it memorized is slowing down his ability to move forward.
Also make sure you have enough cumin in it. Cumin is a large component to the smell of chili, which affects the taste.
Quote: Originally Posted by Banana731 I do. 2 eggs and fruit and toast is more than enough for an adult at a sitting, so it is certainly enough for a child or toddler who obviously has a much smaller stomach. Children go through growth spurts, sure, and if they need a snack again soon during certain times then fine. But I don't care if it's healthy or not, eating too much is a bad habit. It takes time to feel full after a meal, you have to learn to...
Radical Unschooling was a disaster for us too. What we now do is similar to one of the other posters mentioned...formal homeschooling for the basics (math & english/reading/grammar) combined with as much child led learning that we can do the rest of the day. We are still playing catch-up on some of the basics, and doing 2nd grade work now. He should be up to 3rd grade work by Christmas, and hopefully he will be "caught up" by the end of next summer when he would start...
I can see that I am late to the thread and you have gotten a lot of good advice already, so I will just offer this, in addition to the advice you have already gotten: If he just can't seem to transition, no matter what you do, you might need to consider either a private SN school, or going to the public school where you can have SpEd services and have an evaluation done. One of the boys that is in some of my son's social skills groups and playgroups sounds very much like...
No dental work at all in either pregnancies. First child has Autism, second a Phonological Speech Delay but not on the spectrum at all (unless she ends up with an ADHD dx, but it could just be typical 4yo insanity too. )
First, like a PP said, I would bet anything that all of your issues have the same root cause. And, that the method of birth had nothing to do with it. There isn't much chance that anything you did or didn't do had anything to do with it, it just *is*. I would see if there is any way to start private therapy if EI is taking too long. You probably need an ST who is familiar with eating/swallow issues and their impact on speech development, and an OT to address the...