or Connect

Posts by Jennifer Z

Quote: Originally Posted by ElaynesMom My dh and I laugh every time we see this commercial on TV, I especially love when they say, "...and we've all done this!" as they show someone smashing an egg all over their counter. I've never done that Although, I have to say, if it really peeled hardboiled eggs like that I might just buy the thing. I hate peeling hardboiled eggs. It would only peel like that if was an older egg anyway, and older eggs...
We aren't 100% sure how many times my MIL has been married either, but we think it is around 8 times (there was a several year period where we didn't talk to each other, so it is entirely possible there were some marriages in there). She also switches religions (although she usually stays within Christianity, with at least one exception) with the husband. In fact, when we started "giving names" to the grandparents, the other grandparents are "grandma & grandpa...
I can see it being a great thing if you have difficulty with motor skills, but for the general population, that is the highest form of stupidity. You would spend more time cleaning the thing than you would on the rare chance of getting an eggshell in the mix/pan.
Coming from experience here, it isn't going to work to do that. I homeschool my oldest and will likely send my youngest to a B&M school. My youngest is in a Tues-Thurs preschool for kids with speech-language delays. It only runs two days a week. I am home schooling my oldest and was looking for more one-on-one time with him and tried enrolling dd in a second preschool to give me more time with my son. The other school ran on days she wasn't there (and you can't just...
I am a little taken aback that people would actually judge an entire motherhood by how a few hours at the beginning happened. FTR, I started my first labor with plans of a natural child birth, but felt like something wasn't quite right. I was right. He was in totally the wrong position and wouldn't engage in my pelvis at all. Not even close. I had an epi, thank goodness, because a few hours later we started losing his heartbeat during contractions and I was rushed...
Can you do avocados? Lots of healthy fats in them and they have a mild flavor that can be hidden in other things (like put with a good quality cocoa and fruit for sweetners to make chocolate desserts).
Quote: Originally Posted by Doulaamber Hi everyone! My name is Amber and I live in McPherson (about an hour north of Wichita) and mom to a 7yr old and a 5 yr old. I'm a doula but haven't practiced since we moved to KS almost 3 years ago and hoping to get back into it. Nice to meet you all! Amber I grew up about 20 minutes northwest of you and live in Wichita now. I have a lot of cousins in Mac and my brother lives there. Welcome to...
Handwriting without tears is our go-to writing program (if you are talking about the physical act of writing, not the composition aspect). It is multi-sensory, developed by an occupational therapist and used in a lot of schools now. If I had that kind of money to spend, I would probably do Brainpop, books, art supplies and educational toys & games. A good quality globe and some maps would also be on the list if I didn't already have them. A good quality chalk...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama Thanks for your input as well, Karen. I will to look into games for recognizing size by color. Ds is very intuitive when it comes to numbers he can already add subtract and divide double digit #s. The rods just don't seem to mean anything to him. How vital do think the rods are to miquon? It seems to me like they are an absolute part of the curriculum and that we will have to find a way to use them if we want to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama Thanks JZ that is great idea. Why out of the line of site of DC? Out of their line of sight so that they learn the relationships between the rods more strongly. The numbers are a cheat for me so that I can help direct easier when they are struggling, but they do eventually learn how they relate to each other, it is just harder for the adults to remember the relationships.